• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button Down Shirt Question

bslo

Reaction score
I'm considering commissioning one or more oxford button down shirts. I'm hesitating though because I like spread collars and longer collar points. Are these features incongruent with a button down collar?

Thanks

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Bros have varied the spread of their oxford cloth button down and the length of its collar points over the decades. This one as worn by Fred, if unbuttoned, would be a moderately wide spread, long point collar.

Attachment 25589

I've had button downs in the past (but not recent past) that were even more spread than this example, and with a full roll and sufficient room between the lapels of the coat with which they are worn, they were quite attractive. The roll, however, is crucial. Absent that, it's just a spread collar with extraneous buttons at the points.

bslo

Reaction score
[sufficient room between the lapels of the coat with which they are worn, .[/quote]

Thanks for the helpful post. I'm not sure what you mean in the above quote, though.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO, most button down collars will be constricted with the collar lenght and widths. If you like spread and point collars you willn ot like button down ones.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like spread collars and find my buttondown collars to be as comfortable and useful to wear. They're definitely my two favorite collars.

We far as buttoning down a spread collar, I suppose it can be done, but I don't see the point -- my spread collars always stay put nicely. Buttoning them would really be unnecessary.

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
We far as buttoning down a spread collar, I suppose it can be done, but I don't see the point -- my spread collars always stay put nicely. Buttoning them would really be unnecessary.

Thanks. I suppose I see the buttons as serving more a fashion role than a functional one.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
Thanks. I suppose I see the buttons as serving more a fashion role than a functional one.
well, the buttondown collar was actually designed for a purpose. I don't know if yours are the same, but I tend to have a pretty stiff interlining in my spread collars and they don't flop around. Without the buttons, my buttondown collars would flop around a good bit.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bslo
[sufficient room between the lapels of the coat with which they are worn, .

Thanks for the helpful post. I'm not sure what you mean in the above quote, though.[/quote]

There is a raging international debate regarding whether one's coat lapels should/should not cover the points of one's shirt collar. I'm suggesting that if the coat's lapels cramp the points of a button down collar, the collar's roll could be spoiled.

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
Thanks for the helpful post. I'm not sure what you mean in the above quote, though.

There is a raging international debate regarding whether one's coat lapels should/should not cover the points of one's shirt collar. I'm suggesting that if the coat's lapels cramp the points of a button down collar, the collar's roll could be spoiled.[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I thought you meant. I like for my lapels to cover the shirt's collar points, so I guess that's another reason not to get button down shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads