• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button-Down Collar v Non-Button Down

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If I'm going to wear a shirt without a tie, I prefer a button-down collar. Looks more right. Less flapping about and all.

I don't wear undershirts and don't mind showing a little more chest. It looks too stuffy to me when only the top button is undone.

I agree. in fact all my "casual" shirts are button down and they are rarely worn with a tie. sometimes I will put one on with a seperate jacket and trousers though.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
concealed button-down can be a decent alternative

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the button down collars with or without a tie, the spread collar is just a younger look I think. I also don't like the way it causes the collar to curl around the sides and back, which gives the illusion that my neck is larger tehn it actually is.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find BDs are forming an increasing percentage of my shirts.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some BDC shirts that I really liked but I can't get the their association with newspaper reporters and college professors out of my head. I'm torn right now as to whether or not I want to go with more of just straight collars...

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much loved as OCBDs seem to be around here, I've never thought that they looked good on anyone that wasn't playing polo. Since my face is rather oblong and pointed, I prefer to just have a spread or cutaway collar for every one of my shirts. I also think that a spread or cutaway collar worn this way projects a sort of rakish charm. Might just be rationalising though. :p

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the button down, the majority of my shirts are now button down collars.
I dont particularly dislike any collar, I can see where the majority of them fit into a solid wardrobe.

Button-down + collar pin, when i want a more affected look.

Club collar + pin for the same affect, maybe slightly more formal.

Button down + tie no buttoning for when i want to look a little frumpy, some situations i prefer to look less then perfect, job interviews for one.

Button down - no tie, cant beat it for casual, never have any problems with my collars flopping under my jacket, like with a spread.

Spread + tie this is the ultimate in formality for me

Spread - no tie. Doesnt work successfully, ethier the collar constantly flops under the jacket, or sits oddly.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely detest button-downs. I've two button-down shirts, and hardly ever wear them.

I wear point collars for those shirts without tie, and spread for those shirts that I wear with tie.

Button-down collars are too soft (and flappy when unbuttoned), and make the wearer look too compact and well kempt for my liking.

I associate button down collars with folded arms...

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
I don't like bottom-down even for casual looks.

Yeah, me neither. I prefer bottoms-up, usually.

Mr. Walter Trent

Reaction score
My button-down shirts are all for "no-tie" days.

In the summer, I find that BD collars stand up and actually direct the breeze down my neck, keeping me cooler.

Wally

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Button down + tie no buttoning for when i want to look a little frumpy, some situations i prefer to look less then perfect, job interviews for one.

This is button down collar w/ tie but w/ collar points unbuttoned???
crazy.gif

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of button downs at all and I detest their incongruency with a suit and tie.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely buy or have a shirt made that isn't a button down.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
This is button down collar w/ tie but w/ collar points unbuttoned???
crazy.gif

I firmly believe that looking too put together for a job interview is a negative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads