• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

button bottom only on a two button suit?

rad17rv

Reaction score
Does anyone do this to be different. It seems that this is a faux pas in most peoples eyes, but I'm wondering if in our modern world it could be acceptable?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jackets are cut to have the middle button done and the lower button undone. Not buttoning in that fashion will spoil the lines of the jacket, and screw up the proportions. It looks bad visually, and you'll look like the moron who doesn't know how to button his jacket.

Might as well wear your pants backwards if you want to be a rebel just for the sake of it.

Saigonesque

Reaction score
In my opinion, this would only be accepetable if you specifically get a bespoke a jacket that's supposed to be buttoned like that. Otherwise, lolno.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what if the jacket's button stance is too high... and the jacket actually does look better with only the bottom button done?
i have one jacket like that ... but i can't bring myself to wear it with the bottom button done only for fear of the style police

myk7000

Reaction score
Until designers start designing it so that the last button will enable the jacket to have a better looking silhouette, I don't think it'll be acceptable.

Who knows, maybe a revolutionary Thom Browne type of figure will come into the picture and make it acceptable for everyone one day.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In my opinion, [COLOR=FF00AA]this would only be accepetable if you specifically get a bespoke a jacket that's supposed to be buttoned like that.[/COLOR] Otherwise, lolno.

Who would do that???

gsugsu

Reaction score
Only if the ginger from the Armoury starts doing it. Then we will know it is acceptable.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a big diamond encrusted brooch and pin together wherever you like.

if you wanna attract attention - go all out.

Juan

Reaction score
what if the jacket's button stance is too high... and the jacket actually does look better with only the bottom button done?
i have one jacket like that ... but i can't bring myself to wear it with the bottom button done only for fear of the style police

The same happens to me

I have a cord jacket that I wear with lapel turned up and it fits better with only the bottom button done

"the style police" hahahaha! that's a good one

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a cord jacket that I wear with lapel turned up and it fits better with only the bottom button done

Then it doesn't fit.

Every now and then, you see people in England doing this. I have no idea why as it looks ridiculous.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The same happens to me

"the style police"  hahahaha! that's a good one

Doesn't fit. Quit trying to make this a thing, no matter how many times you post asking about this, the answer is the same--the jacket is way too small.

MSchott

Reaction score
The same happens to me

"the style police" hahahaha! that's a good one

You can wear it in whatever style you like but if it does not fit with just the top button closed it does not fit right.

cataan

Reaction score
Trying exercising and losing weight, maybe then you can button the top button.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to my knowledgeable friend, you meant to button all buttons for a horse riding balzer or paddock suit, in both case they are usually button 2 coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads