1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

button bottom only on a two button suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rad17rv, Dec 21, 2012.

1. rad17rv

rad17rv New Member

Does anyone do this to be different. It seems that this is a faux pas in most peoples eyes, but I'm wondering if in our modern world it could be acceptable?

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Jackets are cut to have the middle button done and the lower button undone. Not buttoning in that fashion will spoil the lines of the jacket, and screw up the proportions. It looks bad visually, and you'll look like the moron who doesn't know how to button his jacket.

Might as well wear your pants backwards if you want to be a rebel just for the sake of it.

3. Saigonesque

Saigonesque Active Member

In my opinion, this would only be accepetable if you specifically get a bespoke a jacket that's supposed to be buttoned like that. Otherwise, lolno.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

That's nothing. I saw a guy walking around the other day with only the bottom button done on a three button suit.

5. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

what if the jacket's button stance is too high... and the jacket actually does look better with only the bottom button done?
    i have one jacket like that ... but i can't bring myself to wear it with the bottom button done only for fear of the style police

6. myk7000

myk7000 Senior member

Until designers start designing it so that the last button will enable the jacket to have a better looking silhouette, I don't think it'll be acceptable.

Who knows, maybe a revolutionary Thom Browne type of figure will come into the picture and make it acceptable for everyone one day.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Who would do that???

8. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Only if the ginger from the Armoury starts doing it. Then we will know it is acceptable.

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

get a big diamond encrusted brooch and pin together wherever you like.

if you wanna attract attention - go all out.

10. Juan

Juan Well-Known Member

The same happens to me

I have a cord jacket that I wear with lapel turned up and it fits better with only the bottom button done

"the style police" hahahaha! that's a good one

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  11. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Then it doesn't fit.

Every now and then, you see people in England doing this. I have no idea why as it looks ridiculous.

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Doesn't fit. Quit trying to make this a thing, no matter how many times you post asking about this, the answer is the same--the jacket is way too small.

13. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

You can wear it in whatever style you like but if it does not fit with just the top button closed it does not fit right.

14. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Trying exercising and losing weight, maybe then you can button the top button.

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

According to my knowledgeable friend, you meant to button all buttons for a horse riding balzer or paddock suit, in both case they are usually button 2 coat.

16. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Your friend is only half knowledgeable. It is true that riding coats, either for hunt or show, are cut so that all the buttons can be buttoned. But it is not true that they have two buttons. They are almost always three-button coats and sometimes even four. In theory, there is no different between hunt coats for men and hunt coats for women. In practice, men's hunt coats are single vented while, for purely aesthetic reasons, women's are double vented.