• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUTTERO SHOES AT PITTI UOMO 86: NOT JUST SNEAKERS

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BUTTERO SHOES AT PITTI UOMO 86: NOT JUST SNEAKERS

Words and pictures by Jasper L

Buttero is another brand which, like Barena, I failed to cover at Pitti 85 despite its obvious popularity. I figured I ought to rectify that, not least because I took a few pictures that I think you’ll like. Some of the stuff is pretty neat, so let’s get right to it: the most interesting and most attractive offerings this summer are the woven shoes. In my mind, the woven blue slip-ons are the loveliest to look at, but others might favor the black harness boots. They’d be right to do so, because those boots are sick. Woven shoes were in this year, I guess - Diemme had several rainbow-colored offerings as well, which maybe I’ll get around to covering at some point. I do recall that when I asked Greg from NMWA how much the wholesale price of the harness boot was, he sort of just laughed and said “a lot.”

There were a few more leather-soled options on offer as well; unstructured things with and (mostly) without laces at home in an artists’s studio or on the feet of a back-alley juggler. There were runners and sandals as well, which are probably not Buttero’s strength, but are at least made with same attention to quality. I like the white, laceless oxfords best, because I like all shoes better when they’re white, and I also have a soft spot for the leather-soled slippers that make me think of a be-robed great uncle with a really big globe - you know, the eccentric one who everyone really likes but who know one really knows anything about other than that they’ve been to a lot of weird places. They look like they belong in a study full of exotic smells. They look indolent, but interesting. They look very comfy.

Buttero’s designs are a little more hard-wearing than, say, Common Projects. Instead of sanitized lines and colorways, you get a heavier leather and a more pronounced heft, both physical and visual. Think less Kanye, more tanner’s brat. Perhaps you could wear them with your Barena jacket. I think the approach works better for some options than for others. The classic Tannino, for example, looks very nice with the chunkier, worked leather. On the other hand, Buttero’s version of a Vans authentic (or a five-hole plimsoll), seems to suffer from an addition of needless bulk to a design whose charm is partly its lightweight feel. Regardless, these aren’t ultra-clean, ultra-modern, ultra-minimal shoes. Buttero aims to bring a little bit of old-world charm to the sneakers you wear, to make you appreciate the materials and the work that went into them. The sneakers are more like shoes than sneakers, if you get my drift. They feel much more like things that have been made, rather than produced.

They’re probably not going to be your go-to if you’re wanting the clean, modern look that the forum has not-so-tacitly favored for the last few years, but if you’re into earth-tones and dressing like you own a beaten-up vespa, if you’ve got a dejected little plot of land that you’ve been thinking about growing vines on for the last few years but haven’t gotten around to doing so just yet, live in an apartment with a lot of books on the floor, and have hands regularly covered by either ink or paint or both, then perhaps you’ll enjoy what Buttero has to offer.

img_2926julq3.jpg

img_2928lbzc4.jpg

img_2938u4xa8.jpg

img_2929szahi.jpg

img_2930m0bvt.jpg

img_2931qcykp.jpg

img_2932rxz96.jpg

img_2933h4bpc.jpg

img_2934e5xaw.jpg

img_2935qdlbk.jpg

img_29366oa1a.jpg

img_2939riyok.jpg

Last edited:

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know how I feel about woven-everything, but the navy slip-ons and laceless oxfords are real nice.

grizzlybear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get my hands on a pair of high tops but my size is impossible to find on ebay for a good price. :fu:

brightorangetrousers

Reaction score
Agree that the trainers tend to look too bulky. Woven shoes and boots are awesome.
(There are some perforated ones on the website and they look cool too.)

Picked these up from the Buttero webstore when they were on sale:

280nvrq.jpg

Love em. As people have said, they run about a size big.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love their sandals.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd take those slip-ons too

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Damn, totally want a pair of these, but in a darker color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads