• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For real.
I've emailed Buttero.it in the past and they said the Japan stuff is basically a different operation.
They have loafers and slippers that I've wanted and they just told me they can't do it because those are crafted and made for Japan.

bencap

Reaction score
^^ I think I read that Barney's usually lists sizes as they fit, rather than directly translating from the EU sizing. IE: Barney's would list those Buttero US9 as would fit a size 9 usually does, rather than translating directly from the sizing Buttero uses (where a US9 would be a 42, which actually fits closer to a typical US10/43 for Buttero).

Confusing question, I hope it's clear enough. Can anyone confirm? I've never ordered footwear from Barney's. I don't have any black side zips anymore and would totally order those if I can be pretty sure of the sizing (since they can't be returned for refund).

bencap

Reaction score
@gettoasty So Barney's sticks to conventional sizing, they don't switch it up to reflect the actual fit of individual brands/shoe models (which is what I thought I had read someplace and what prompted my question)?

If so, thanks for the reply! I wanna hop on this before they sell out.

bencap

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I realise my question was convoluted and probably just outright stupid.

I have a pair of Floyd's and know how they fit me (sized down one for my usual size). I thought I had read that Barney's lists sizes so customers can buy their usual size rather than find out how individual brands and models would fit them, and wanted to know if that was true. Apparently not, and I'm either misremembering, or it's from some insane fever dream or something and I made it up!

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the dumb question :p

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah we didn’t know what to expect when we ordered either. Questions like yours are part of what these threads are meant for.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw I once ordered some butteros from barneys and they came tagged as "9" and fit like a US9. I tried to size down like I usually do, but they were tts.

Also, wore these bad boys today

20190330_153707.jpg

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as a Buttero 44 I’m probably SOL on any Japan-only boots. Sigh...

dantatzai

Reaction score
Hey there, welcome.

Your sizing is kinda all over the place, can you give us a bit more info? The lasts and models make a big difference. Just based on the above, I'd say to try for a 41 first. Maybe order both sizes and return one if possible, but it's hard to give you more exact advice.

My general sizing is pretty tts for a 10D US/9UK in dress shoes, 11 in nike, 43 CP Achilles. A 42 in the Floyd's and other Buttero models works really well for my feet.[/QUOTE

Hi thanks for responding and sorry for the confusion going in order as you listed

That i shouldve said - for the most part I'm an 8.5 US in dress shoes, 41 cp Achilles, and 10 in nike, thinking I can do 41 in buttero as they only have whole sizes for the Floyd's listed on their site. Checked my Crockett and Jones that was 7.5 but that's uk sizing that is equivalent to 8.5 us and the only other anomaly is the bottega veneta Chelsea boot that I have in a size 7 but they run a whole size big

dantatzai

Reaction score
Hey there, welcome.

Your sizing is kinda all over the place, can you give us a bit more info? The lasts and models make a big difference. Just based on the above, I'd say to try for a 41 first. Maybe order both sizes and return one if possible, but it's hard to give you more exact advice.

My general sizing is pretty tts for a 10D US/9UK in dress shoes, 11 in nike, 43 CP Achilles. A 42 in the Floyd's and other Buttero models works really well for my feet.

Hi thanks for responding and sorry for the confusion

Going in the order you listed I shouldve said - I'm an 8.5 US in dress shoes, 41 cp Achilles, and 10 in nike, thinking I can do 41 in buttero as they only have whole sizes for the Floyd's listed on their site. Checked my Crockett and Jones that was 7.5 but that's uk sizing that is equivalent to 8.5 us and the only other anomaly is the bottega veneta Chelsea boot that I have in a size 7 but they run a whole size big

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Danta you want a 41 or 40.5 if you can find someone who carries that size. We are near identical and 41 is just a tiny bit roomy for my liking

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads