• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

butternut squash recipes

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some butternut squash soup that was fantastic, and of course, now I'm trying to think of other ways to use butternut squash.

The soup I had seemed fairly simple, maybe chicken stock, cream or milk, and I tasted some garlic, nutmeg, and maybe coriander.

Any ideas for other recipes?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Cut it in half, seed it, and put some butter and brown sugar over it. Then, wrap it in aluminum foil and roast it. Take it out when it's done and take out all the goodness. After that, you can wrap it up in some ravioli. It's so sweet. I've only made it with a brown butter sauce, but I'm sure there are tons of other applications.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fall, a butternut squash risotto. The technique by the poster above is good for the squash 'base', which I would then in turn puree with a little stock or water. Stir the puree into the risotto (any regular risotto preparation is fine) about 1/2 way through cooking. The colour should be nice and bright, but I find adding a touch of tumeric makes it shine (without much affecting the taste).

I finish it with some small diced butternut squash that I've caramelized separately, butter, and curls of parmigiano.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+2 on the risotto, cube it and roast for awhile, then drape w/ some nice bacon, squash seeds and chestnuts - roast a bunch more. rice is standard prep w/ an onion or shallot. once broth/stock is absorbed, stir in some of the 1/3 of the roasted squash (but not the other stuff). finish w/ some butter & parmreg. stirred in. serve on nice warmed plate topped with remaining squash, bacon, chestnuts & roasted squash seeds. killer!
smile.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roast the squash take out the "goodness" roll into a gnocci with some nutmeg. Prepare gnocci as usual. Can be served with nice mascarpone sauce and served in the hollowed out squash shell.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw on Ramsey's F-word they made Risotto with it, so can be done.
I recently heard of making a salad with cubed roast squash (google recipes).
You can try making mash potatoes style, or mixing with regular mash so mix colors and textures. maybe add in sweet potato too?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had this (instead of mashed potatoes) along with fowl for Canadian Thanksgiving:

Cut it in half lengthwise and remove seeds, brush cut sides with olive oil. Roast for 40mins at 350F or until soft. Scoop out the flesh and reserve. Fry chopped onions and garlic in a lot of butter. Once nicely cooked add this to the squash puree along with a good addition of more butter, salt, pepper, a scant dash of nutmeg and some chopped italian parsley. Mix it well and keep in warm in the oven.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads