• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

butternut squash recipes

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some butternut squash soup that was fantastic, and of course, now I'm trying to think of other ways to use butternut squash.

The soup I had seemed fairly simple, maybe chicken stock, cream or milk, and I tasted some garlic, nutmeg, and maybe coriander.

Any ideas for other recipes?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Cut it in half, seed it, and put some butter and brown sugar over it. Then, wrap it in aluminum foil and roast it. Take it out when it's done and take out all the goodness. After that, you can wrap it up in some ravioli. It's so sweet. I've only made it with a brown butter sauce, but I'm sure there are tons of other applications.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fall, a butternut squash risotto. The technique by the poster above is good for the squash 'base', which I would then in turn puree with a little stock or water. Stir the puree into the risotto (any regular risotto preparation is fine) about 1/2 way through cooking. The colour should be nice and bright, but I find adding a touch of tumeric makes it shine (without much affecting the taste).

I finish it with some small diced butternut squash that I've caramelized separately, butter, and curls of parmigiano.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+2 on the risotto, cube it and roast for awhile, then drape w/ some nice bacon, squash seeds and chestnuts - roast a bunch more. rice is standard prep w/ an onion or shallot. once broth/stock is absorbed, stir in some of the 1/3 of the roasted squash (but not the other stuff). finish w/ some butter & parmreg. stirred in. serve on nice warmed plate topped with remaining squash, bacon, chestnuts & roasted squash seeds. killer!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roast the squash take out the "goodness" roll into a gnocci with some nutmeg. Prepare gnocci as usual. Can be served with nice mascarpone sauce and served in the hollowed out squash shell.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw on Ramsey's F-word they made Risotto with it, so can be done.
I recently heard of making a salad with cubed roast squash (google recipes).
You can try making mash potatoes style, or mixing with regular mash so mix colors and textures. maybe add in sweet potato too?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had this (instead of mashed potatoes) along with fowl for Canadian Thanksgiving:

Cut it in half lengthwise and remove seeds, brush cut sides with olive oil. Roast for 40mins at 350F or until soft. Scoop out the flesh and reserve. Fry chopped onions and garlic in a lot of butter. Once nicely cooked add this to the squash puree along with a good addition of more butter, salt, pepper, a scant dash of nutmeg and some chopped italian parsley. Mix it well and keep in warm in the oven.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40