• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

But WHY the large armholes??

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is for the tailor- and JeffD-types.

We all know that one of the key drawbacks to many OTR coats is large armholes; its universally agreed around here that smaller armholes offer a superior fit and range of motion. So why do many OTR makers cut their armholes large, then? If a smaller armhole is superior, why not employ it? It doesn't seem that there is any obvious cost savings or other corner-cutting associated with the larger armhole. Am I missing something - does it somehow reduce the amount of cloth needed? Is a small armhole only possible via handwork? What gives?

I've been getting MTM for a few years now and no longer have an issue with big armholes, but I've found that they are often the factor that precludes me from buying coats that I find sometimes at bargain prices. Its a bit confusing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Because 99% of guys who try on a RTW coat can fit into a big armhole. The smaller you make it, the more people you exclude.

Also, it's not a common thing, hence men are not used to how it feels. They tend to think it's constricting and uncomfortable and a flaw.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it's just obesity, since any larger suit is going to have proportionally larger armholes anyway. I think the extra large armholes is a comfort thing, as many people find them more comfortable than narrow armholes. As the desire to put comfort first before all other considerations has pretty much invaded every segment of clothing this is the result.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I don't think it's just obesity, since any larger suit is going to have proportionally larger armholes anyway. I think the extra large armholes is a comfort thing, as many people find them more comfortable than narrow armholes. As the desire to put comfort first before all other considerations has pretty much invaded every segment of clothing this is the result.
American sack suit style + obesity

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone please produce pictures/illustrations of a jacket with large armholes vs. one with small armholes?

Some of the suits I have seen/tried on/own are supposed to have small armholes but I couldn't tell if they are any different OTR suits that are supposed to have 'regular' or large armholes.

Thank you.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
High armholes:

p1030197c.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
High armholes:

p1030197c.jpg

Oh hai, comparable fabric references please.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Oh hai, comparable fabric references please.

Argento on Via Filangieri in Naples has two lengths of this fabric. 100 E each.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Ok, now who's gonna proxy these for me?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because 99% of guys who try on a RTW coat can fit into a big armhole. The smaller you make it, the more people you exclude.

Also, it's not a common thing, hence men are not used to how it feels. They tend to think it's constricting and uncomfortable and a flaw.

This.

And this

Originally Posted by Romualdo
... In addition to the hand work, I have a true testimonial to back up the fit. The first two coats I sold this past weekend were size 46 and 48. They fit perfect! If you can fit the big boys, you can fit anyone.

Read that again, as it is indicative of American retailing

Originally Posted by Romualdo
If you can fit the big boys, you can fit anyone.

If those coats (which were made by Crittenden) had small armholes, he would have likely lost the sale and placed an angry call to the manufacturer. If I try to raise the armhole by so much as 1/2" I get calls right away complaining about it. I have NEVER had a call from a retailer complaining about low armholes. I have to do what the retailer wants me to.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easier for people to put on, even if it's more restrictive when wearing. And yes, fat people. Everything in the US is cut to fit the largest members of our society. Even things in size small are cut like tents these days.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So are you going to have your sleeves recut?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
... its universally agreed around here that smaller armholes offer a superior fit and range of motion. So why do many OTR makers cut their armholes large, then?

Oh, and since when does that which is universally agreed upon on SF have anything to do with the real world? The top suit brand is Hugo Boss and the top-selling colour is black. Just sayin.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
So are you going to have your sleeves recut?

I was tempted. Passed. I could still have Mina buy it for me I guess.

I laughed out loud when I saw that cloth in the shop window.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads