• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Businesswear in 90+ degree & 100% humidity?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I like the idea of strolling around in pyjamas like our Indian friend suggests. Very Hugh Hefner.

Either that or...

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest.jpg

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does 100% humidity even mean? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of being submerged in water?

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
What does 100% humidity even mean? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of being submerged in water?

If you want to know what it feels like rather than what it means, go to Singapore.

TheButler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
% humidity is measured relative to the point where air can't hold any more water (the saturation point). Its not relative to the density of water itself. So it always maxes at 100% - the air just can't get any "wetter".

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indian Prime Minister receiving the guard of honour
manmohan-singh.jpg
India's ruling party, the Indian National Congress's party spokesperson giving an interview on national television. On television only the top half can be seen.
dsc01525.jpg
Note: Barkha Dutt is the name of the presenter “Barkha, three quick points: a) The mere fact that I am in my kurta-cheddi doesn’t mean I have been directed by the party to make a public display of my commitment to the austerity measures. b) Even if I have, merely because you can see my legs, you cannot conclude that these are the only austerity measures I am practising. There may be more, there may be less. c) And may I remind my learned colleague, since when did it become illegal to wear nothing below the waist, when the father of the nation wore nothing above? “And, Barkha, Barkha, one last point, Barkha, regardless of whether I am in a kurta-pyjama or kurta-cheddi, surely it’s an invasion of an individual’s right to privacy for such pictures shot at the front porch of a private citizen’s private residence to be put out in the public sphere? Sure, Article 19(1) (a) as by law established guarantees freedom of speech and expression and we respect that, but let’s not forget it comes with reasonable restrictions insofaras public order, decency or morality is concerned….”

em36

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy, but you'll actually need a sweater some mornings in Bangalore. It is 3,000 ft above sea level, and the weather can feel temperate (like mid-seventies to low eighties, with a breeze). They do have heat waves, but it never gets Delhi/Bombay hot. Maybe ninety, then rains.

Not sure what you're doing, however if you are doing business with top Infosys-types, pack a suit and blazer.

foggy

Reaction score
There are some really light wool suits out there. I like Carolina Herrera off the rack for that. You hadly know your wearing them.

Thats my first choice for Southern state summers.

em36

Reaction score
I re-read this. Yes, light tropical wool slacks will be good. Also nice shoes will be good. You should at least pack a blazer and perhaps a nice sportcoat as well, as Bangalore has some swish places to entertain corporately, and to see the fillies.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living in a climate that, in the summer months (May to October), is very similar to the one the OP has described, I second the recommendations of linen and fresco. I also suggest a mohair/worsted blend.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
That would be 60% off the climes I encounter in Asia.

I never thought I would say this, but Fresco has been a revelation for me this last few months in HKG. Me being new am only MAN enough for 8oz J.J. Minnis Fresco aka Phasco.

So much that I rotate the following every week Mon - Thu & Fri I wear split them or wear the grey pants with a linen or cotton SC:
1 x navy SB suit
1 x dark grey SB suit
1 x navy DB suit
1 x dark grey DB suit

Always leather soled shoes & always fine pin-point oxford cloth shirts + tie.

Check my WAYWRN for the last few months in HKG & SIN.

PG

What's the lining situation on these suits? Unlined? Quarter lined? Half? Full?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
What's the lining situation on these suits? Unlined? Quarter lined? Half? Full?
1/8th

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll see if I can pick up a couple of pairs of linen or lightweight cotton pants this weekend.

Prob also take a sportscoat, and probably one suit, but I dont really feel like investing in a tropical wardrobe when I live in the UK.

While the heat is one thing (compared to London), I'm more concerned about walking through potential monsoon puddles and such in nice shoes and trousers. Maybe I've still got those nasty shellacked rubber soled things that I used to wear for rainy weather in Amsterdam.

K

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I live in New York where it gets muggy as hell in the summer. If I have to be outside for any extended period of time (i.e. weekends) I don't wear a jacket, unbutton the top button and I have some 8oz wool trousers, which are cool, and are still better looking (and longer lasting) than cotton. I think they are cooler than cotton pants, or khakis, and more formal looking than linen.

I have this extremely irritating problem of sweaty knee-caps, so I have all of my warm weather trousers lined past the knee or I will sweat right through just at the knees and look like the greasy ginny that I am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads