• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Business Wear Question for Event Tomorrow

CDN1989

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have an event for work tomorrow, potential partners will be there, its our first event and very important. The director said to wear a suit, but also said jokingly not to over dress him, which makes sense. From experience if i wear a full suit with tie I will be out dressing him, my suit is brand new also. So I'm thinking of wearing the suit without the tie? Is this a good idea, or should I wear an unpatterned shirt, quite tie, and no tie bar's ext. My suit is dark grey and has a faint window pattern.

Thanks Guys,

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the California Tuxedo.

Blue blazer, button-down shirt, and khaki-colored pants. Wear a tie and loafer to complete the look.

CDN1989

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I kinda want to wear my new suit, and My blue blazer isnt all the great, I'm in need of a new one haha.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I say don't worry about out dressing him. If he said to wear a suit then wear your suit. It sounds like a big event so don't skip the tie. Do it up, it will show that it is important to you. If your boss knew better he would dress the same. If you don't want to be too flashy leave the french cuffs and giant cufflinks at home. Wear a white shirt, no tie bar. White pocket square if you decide to wear one.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Try the California Tuxedo.

Blue blazer, button-down shirt, and khaki-colored pants. Wear a tie and loafer to complete the look.

That's great. I've never heard that, but very true.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suit and tie without ps or fc shirt.

CDN1989

Reaction score
Thanks for the sound advice, ill wear the tie,

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Suit and tie without ps or fc shirt.

+3

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.