• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business suit checklist

visualpurple

Reaction score
I'm going to go suit shopping this week in Toronto (I will probably go to Tom's Place if anyone's from TO), and I need some help with what I should be looking for in a suit. I have a good eye for what looks good, but I'm concerned about keeping in line with "the rules" for business suits. I am a professional student and this will be an all-purpose suit (interviews, receptions, and eventually work).

I'm tall and very thin, if that helps. Here's what I've got so far:

- charcoal (pinstripes or no?)
- flat front pants, no cuff
- two-button jacket

I have no idea about things like lapels, vents, etc., so any advice about that would be helpful! Also, I'm very budget conscious, but I will be getting a lot of use out of this so I'm willing to put out a little more. What should I budget for a quality (but not highest-end) suit?

edit: also, what fabric? This will be an all-season suit, but I would prefer something on the lighter side, because I tend to overheat very easily (plus I'll be wearing a coat in the winter anyway).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Navy or charcoal suit. Solid to start with. Notched lapels, double vent, pleats optional, cuff optional. Lapels no thinner than 3" at their widest point. Stay away from wool flannels if overheating is an issue. Get a mid weight worsted wool.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Navy or charcoal suit. Solid to start with. Notched lapels, double vent, pleats optional, cuff optional. Lapels no thinner than 3" at their widest point. Stay away from wool flannels if overheating is an issue. Get a mid weight worsted wool.

x2

I would stay away from pinstripes as they may make you appear taller and thinner (unless you don't mind that)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
x2

I would stay away from pinstripes as they may make you appear taller and thinner (unless you don't mind that)

They are too flashy for an interview.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

x3

visualpurple

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - any idea of a ballpark of what I should be dropping for a budget-conscious yet quality suit? Are there any particular designers I should look for?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visualpurple
edit: also, what fabric? This will be an all-season suit, but I would prefer something on the lighter side, because I tend to overheat very easily (plus I'll be wearing a coat in the winter anyway).

You'll be wearing a coat during your interviews? No you won't. It'll be taken and hung up for you. Most likely the office will be more then warm enough but the average wool fall/winter suit won't make you overheat.

No suit will be four season in Toronto. You'll boil during the summer. Freeze during the winter. Everything will be A/C or heated but unless you intend to walk up and down Yonge street the average Fall/winter suit won't be a problem.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Price can vary widely. You can get a very nice suit as recommended above from Brooks Brothers' "1818" mid-range for about $600 on sale. You will, of course, have to budget another $100-$200 for basic, mandatory alterations (jacket sleeve and trouser leg hemming, jacket waist suppression, collar shortening).

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
You'll be wearing a coat during your interviews? No you won't. It'll be taken and hung up for you.

If an interviewer or a member their staff offered to take my suit jacket and hang it up, I would find it EXTREMELY bizarre.

Towers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
If an interviewer or a member their staff offered to take my suit jacket and hang it up, I would find it EXTREMELY bizarre.

For winter in Toronto I don't doubt he was referring to an overcoat, and not his suit jacket.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy or charcoal suit. Solid to start with.

+1. The most versatile ones.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Price can vary widely. You can get a very nice suit as recommended above from Brooks Brothers' "1818" mid-range for about $600 on sale. You will, of course, have to budget another $100-$200 for basic, mandatory alterations (jacket sleeve and trouser leg hemming, jacket waist suppression, collar shortening).

What on earth is "collar shortening"?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
What on earth is "collar shortening"?

He probably means to get rid of the roll behind the collar on many suits the back neck needs to be eased up into the collar to make it look cleaner.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visualpurple
Thanks everyone - any idea of a ballpark of what I should be dropping for a budget-conscious yet quality suit? Are there any particular designers I should look for?

Here in the US your looking at least $500 for a Hickey Freeman Nordstrom's Rack. I'm sure you don't have any in Canada so...

Not sure what exactly is available up north, but your probably looking at $1k+ USD.

If you can find them:
Hickey Freeman
Hart Shaffer Marx
Brooks Brothers
Ralph Lauren

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Brooks tailoring is quite reasonable. If you find a half decent fit, I don't think it will cost that much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads