• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Suit Advice

km268

Reaction score
Hello, I am a frequent reader, less often poster. I'm currently looking for a new business suit. I have approximately £400 to spend. It will be immediately for interviews but will then be used in rotation with two more suits.

My last two suits were a TM Lewin and a Cerruti, I did not particularly like the look of the Lewin, both of these wore out in the crouch within a year and I grew out of the trouser legs.

I have broad shoulders and fairly short arms. I also have large thighs so struggle to generally fit in the standard trouser leg (I take a 34" waist, 30" leg jean). I believe I am currently best suited to a 40S but of course I would get any ready wear suit tailored.

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations for my price range. I recently saw a few nice Hugo Boss (James) suit for good value - are these good suits? I am looking for a modern, tailored style in navy.

Thanks, Kieran

Macallan

Reaction score
Wait for the Boxing day sales, you should be able to get a good RTW for about £400. Selfridges do have some good sales, £7/800 Ralph Lauren suits for £400 although they were marked at £1k. Gieves & Hawkes, Hackett and Richards James (and possibily Ede & Ravenscroft) will have a wide range of RTW on sales.

If you want to go the custom route and can get wait, you get a mtm or bespoke from the likes (slighly over £400), SuitSupply and Cad & The Dandy.

km268

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I did consider MTM but I thought this might be a long way out of my budget. I will definitely be taking a look in Selfridges come boxing day. I had a quick look at Cad & the Dandy but I don't think I know quite enough about suits to make my selections quickly, are these tailors welcoming to customers with no idea or will I feel out of my depth in store? And will I have a better suit than one I'd get in the sales?

Gwarg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by km268
Hello, I am a frequent reader, less often poster. I'm currently looking for a new business suit. I have approximately £400 to spend. It will be immediately for interviews but will then be used in rotation with two more suits.

My last two suits were a TM Lewin and a Cerruti, I did not particularly like the look of the Lewin, both of these wore out in the crouch within a year and I grew out of the trouser legs.

I have broad shoulders and fairly short arms. I also have large thighs so struggle to generally fit in the standard trouser leg (I take a 34" waist, 30" leg jean). I believe I am currently best suited to a 40S but of course I would get any ready wear suit tailored.

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations for my price range. I recently saw a few nice Hugo Boss (James) suit for good value - are these good suits? I am looking for a modern, tailored style in navy.

Thanks, Kieran

Don't go with the Boss suits - poor quality.
If you go to Selfridges, go early because it gets unbelievably crowded.

Amiens

Reaction score
If you can get to London and are flexible on your budget this might serve: "Offer at Graham Browne From January 1 next year, prices at Graham Browne will be going up, largely as a result of the rise in VAT - to £890. In anticipation, they are offering a brief 'VAT-busting' sale for Permanent Style readers: £695 for the three days before the end of the year, between December 29 and December 31. The price is for a two-piece suit, with most standard bunches included. Russell and Dan will be in each day from 10am till around 3pm." http://permanentstyle.blogspot.com/

km268

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gwarg
Don't go with the Boss suits - poor quality. If you go to Selfridges, go early because it gets unbelievably crowded.
Thanks, I will avoid them then. Is it likely that any good suits will remain the next day of the sale?
Originally Posted by Amiens
If you can get to London and are flexible on your budget this might serve: "Offer at Graham Browne From January 1 next year, prices at Graham Browne will be going up, largely as a result of the rise in VAT - to £890. In anticipation, they are offering a brief 'VAT-busting' sale for Permanent Style readers: £695 for the three days before the end of the year, between December 29 and December 31. The price is for a two-piece suit, with most standard bunches included. Russell and Dan will be in each day from 10am till around 3pm." http://permanentstyle.blogspot.com/
That's a fair way out of my price range, has anyone used this company: http://www.asuitthatfits.com/shop/index.php Edit: After reading some mixed reviews I've realised this may not be the best place to go! Thanks K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads