• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business legality and tax question

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello all. I am thinking of starting a business. This business will have zero profit and be 110% legal. In fact, the idea will seem stupid to you if you have half an inkling of common sense. But my question is not on whether it is a sound business plan. My question has to do with legalities and tax implications. 

Illustrative example of business:

1) Business purchases Widget X from itself at the retail price of $10. Total business expense = $10. 

2) Business receives revenue from above mentioned transaction.  Total revenue = $10. 

3) Net income = revenue - expenses = $10 - $10 = $0. 

Question for the intelligentsia:

1) Is the above example "legal" in and of itself? Is it legal to have the customer and the seller be the same entity when operating as a business? Is it legal for some business vehicles but not for others (e.g. Sole propietorships, LLCs, s-corps, c-corps, etc.)?

2) From a tax perspective, would the above in and of itself result in zero taxable income?

Thanks. 

PS I understand that the devil is always in the details, but assuming everything else was 100% legal and that no other information is provided, what are the answers to the questions listed? I also understand that a lawyer and tax professional are required before undertaking any business venture and this fact is not lost on me. Just testing the waters here.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in no way qualified to answer this but I suspect it is not.

Reasoning: A business can't sell to its self, that is simply a transfer of assets. Two separate companies with the same owner could do it, but you would incur costs such as taxes and costs (accountants filing year-end documents for example) so you would result in a net loss.

From a tax point of view, you have two companies operating at a loss, which means they don't pay tax (in the UK at least) but YMMV.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Blackhood. In essence I am trying to create a vehicle (or vehicles) in which I can purchase assets from myself. There is no catch and nothing shady. Would some sort of investment vehicle be a smarter approach? The net returns would end up being zero. 

I know this is bordering on way to technical legally for a message board, but what the hell, it's worth a shot. 

dune

Reaction score
Why would you want to do that? :s

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Blackhood. In essence I am trying to create a vehicle (or vehicles) in which I can purchase assets from myself. There is no catch and nothing shady. Would some sort of investment vehicle be a smarter approach? The net returns would end up being zero. 

I know this is bordering on way to technical legally for a message board, but what the hell, it's worth a shot. 

You trying to profit from credit card benefits?

Edit: As Blackhood said, you definitely can't do it if you and the business entity are one and the same. That said, you're dealing with a separate entity when it's a corporation. If you are looking to score off of credit card benefits, there may be a caveat in the contract that prevents this from happening.

Last edited:

Booter

Reaction score
Nice spam bump.

Regarding the OP - I believe Mr. Fastow of Enron had this exact same idea of creating fictitious revenue...

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google "transfer pricing." I'm too lazy to elaborate.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads