• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Dressing by Country - India

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is for the purposes of discussing appropriate business dress in India. Further distinctions by region or city would be good as well.

I'm currently travelling regularly to Hyderabad, New Delhi and Mumbai and I'm seeing that each has their particular nuances. Mumbai seems to be the most fashion forward to me.

For starters I'll bring up a couple of topics of detail.

Shoes with suits: Does anyone in India wear lace up shoes with suits other than the British expats? Is it considered proper in India to wear 'dress loafers' with suits? So far it seems to be what I'm noticing on most.

Brown shoes with suits: There seems to be only one acceptable shoe color in business dressing - black. Will shades of brown/burgundy with navy suits be considered odd?

Pocket squares: Haven't seen one on anyone that isn't a CEO. Should these be avoided by those who are merely executive level as a demonstration of deferance to those of higher status?

Looking forward to input on these and any other related topics.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you may be over-thinking this... I recently returned from visiting a couple of firms that provide services to my employer. Even at the VP/SVP/EVP levels the fashion sense is average. Wear what you think is appropriate (i.e what you'd wear in home country in similar business context), take account the different climate and you'll be fine. If you're a reader and student of this blog you should be way ahead already
smile.gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ebichuman
I think you may be over-thinking this... I recently returned from visiting a couple of firms that provide services to my employer. Even at the VP/SVP/EVP levels the fashion sense is average. Wear what you think is appropriate (i.e what you'd wear in home country in similar business context), take account the different climate and you'll be fine. If you're a reader and student of this blog you should be way ahead already
smile.gif

The biggest challenge is staying cool.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
AJ Del would be a great help to you.
true that. plus OP is located in ATL. Similar weather; high heat, lots of humidity

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Spoo, I'll look him up.

Every locale has a different set of 'insider's rules' for manners and dress. And I try to at least not put my sartorial foot in mouth each and every day wherever I am.

I was recently sent back to my hotel to change shirts before a presentation in Abu Dhabi. It turns out that His Highness Sheik XXXXXXX would be offended by a graph check shirt. As the intersections of the lines are 90 degree crosses and all lines should only intersect at non right angles lest they offend his muslim sensibilities. Ninty degree intersections referencing the Christian Cross - don't you know. Needless to say I was not exactly happy with myself at the time. Although found out later that I was far from the first person ever to have met with a sartorial 'no pass' by his 'preview comittee',

This is an extreme example - to say the least - but only goes to show you that it's always good to study up on the little things when doing business round the world.

Thanks again.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I look forward to reading more first-hand input.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, I lived in india for 3 years, and did business with all the big corporations. I need some info first:

what is your position?
what is your race/nationality?

I don't think that you really need to care so much about how the different parts of india dress - it is all about establishing your position in india.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, I lived in india for 3 years, and did business with all the big corporations. I need some info first:

what is your position?
what is your race/nationality?

I don't think that you really need to care so much about how the different parts of india dress - it is all about establishing your position in india.

Globetrotter,

I can tell from the nature of your post you have spent some time in India for certain. As your questions pertain to 'rank'. And that is of critical importance in India.

I am an American, representing an American based professional practice firm with a worldwide operation (about 600 employees total).

I guess the family photo in my avatar should tell you everything you need to know about my race/background. I'm the little one on the right (circa 1965)

Within my company I am a senior associate (The only people higher are the 5 owners of the company).

In my role I present and negotiate contracts for services and also manage/present the services we provide. (Think luxury architecture and interior design.) Making design presentations is critically important, as at that stage can cost us up to 100k to revise a presentation. We take what we wear to these things VERY seriously.

My clients in India are more often than not billionaire business mogels and real estate developers (who, of course have no money of their own, but pretend they do). My goal is to dress well enough to appear to be 'almost one of them'. But as I'm certainly no billionaire myself I'm also painfully aware that it is easy to overdo it in even the smallest way in India. As in general I'm seeing a VERY conservative but label conscious crowd so far. Not a one of them has any sense of style by American standards. (Not that I think American men's fashion is the **** either by the way.)

I'm also concerned about looking too British (ie, laceup oxfords etc. etc.) As sentiment towards the Brits seems to be polite but very cool at best.

I appreciate your thoughts!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
perfect, that is what I needed. also, no offense, but what is your race? the reason I ask is that, for the most part, indians are pretty racist against darker skin, the darker your skin, the harder you are going to have to work to establish your senior position.

here's the thing - indians are very very concerned with position. among indians, it is very clear who is what, for the most part. indians know almost immidiatly what position they are each in when they meet. you, as a foreigner, are outside of the system. which gives a lot of flexibility, but also requires you to give them tools to understand you.

so, you will actually have to dress better than them, a lot of the time. I worked with senior managment (but salaried, not owners) from all of the biggest corporations in India, and at the time I was just over 30, so that put me in weaker position.

most of the indians I worked with didn't dress very well - it was very common for them to be in shirtsleeves, no jacket or tie. as people have said, weather is an issue - it is hot, and in the summer it is worse because it will be very humid and often pouring rain. so you need to stay relativly cool, and often you simply won't go outside at all (I was always with an air conditioned car and driver).

I always worse a suit and tie, white pocket square, black lace shoes. I wore very lightweight suits, but always wore a suit. always dark. nothing really fancy, basically sort of "mademen" like - dark, simple, single or double breasted, white or blue shirts, simple ties. it worked well for me.

I don't remember ever seeing anybody in brown shoes, myself. I don't remember ever seeing a pocket square on anybody else. I did hang out in a couple of the "clubs" where old business and government people hung out, and a lot of the people in those wore suits and ties.

you'll see a lot of men wearing gemstone rings, those have significance, don't try to adapt the habbit. I'd say, in general, don't try to adopt anything that you see indians doing, because there is probably relevance, religious or caste related. your strength is in being a "foreigner" and being outside of the system. and since you are are senior, you are establishing your self as senion.

in general, do what you can to establish status, have people carry your bags, have your people treat you with more deference than you might demand in the states. its very important.

I'd also suggest learning what you can about indian religion and culture, it can be very helpful.

hope that this helps.

Originally Posted by Gdot
Globetrotter,

I can tell from the nature of your post you have spent some time in India for certain. As your questions pertain to 'rank'. And that is of critical importance in India.

I am an American, representing an American based professional practice firm with a worldwide operation (about 600 employees total).

Within my company I am a senior associate (The only people higher are the 5 owners of the company).

In my role I present and negotiate contracts for services and also manage/present the services we provide. (Think luxury architecture and interior design.) Making design presentations is critically important, as at that stage can cost us up to 100k to revise a presentation. We take what we wear to these things VERY seriously.

My clients in India are more often than not billionaire business mogels and real estate developers (who, of course have no money of their own, but pretend they do). My goal is to dress well enough to appear to be 'almost one of them'. But as I'm certainly no billionaire myself I'm also painfully aware that it is easy to overdo it in even the smallest way in India. As in general I'm seeing a VERY conservative but label concious crowd so far. Not a one of them has any sense of style by American standards. (Not that I think American men's fashion is the **** either by the way.)

I'm also concerned about looking too British (ie, laceup oxfords etc. etc.) As sentiment towards the Brits seems to be polite but very cool at best.

I appreciate your thoughts!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Globe, great post.

- B

thanks, wish I knew enough to contribute about the top end italian tailors, but I sure know how to dress to establish status in developing markets.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
perfect, that is what I needed. also, no offense, but what is your race? the reason I ask is that, for the most part, indians are pretty racist against darker skin, the darker your skin, the harder you are going to have to work to establish your senior position.

here's the thing - indians are very very concerned with position. among indians, it is very clear who is what, for the most part. indians know almost immidiatly what position they are each in when they meet. you, as a foreigner, are outside of the system. which gives a lot of flexibility, but also requires you to give them tools to understand you.

so, you will actually have to dress better than them, a lot of the time. I worked with senior managment (but salaried, not owners) from all of the biggest corporations in India, and at the time I was just over 30, so that put me in weaker position.

most of the indians I worked with didn't dress very well - it was very common for them to be in shirtsleeves, no jacket or tie. as people have said, weather is an issue - it is hot, and in the summer it is worse because it will be very humid and often pouring rain. so you need to stay relativly cool, and often you simply won't go outside at all (I was always with an air conditioned car and driver).

I always worse a suit and tie, white pocket square, black lace shoes. I wore very lightweight suits, but always wore a suit. always dark. nothing really fancy, basically sort of "mademen" like - dark, simple, single or double breasted, white or blue shirts, simple ties. it worked well for me.

I don't remember ever seeing anybody in brown shoes, myself. I don't remember ever seeing a pocket square on anybody else. I did hang out in a couple of the "clubs" where old business and government people hung out, and a lot of the people in those wore suits and ties.

you'll see a lot of men wearing gemstone rings, those have significance, don't try to adapt the habbit. I'd say, in general, don't try to adopt anything that you see indians doing, because there is probably relevance, religious or caste related. your strength is in being a "foreigner" and being outside of the system. and since you are are senior, you are establishing your self as senion.

in general, do what you can to establish status, have people carry your bags, have your people treat you with more deference than you might demand in the states. its very important.

I'd also suggest learning what you can about indian religion and culture, it can be very helpful.

hope that this helps.

Thanks Globetrotter!

Fascinating.......

I've been going back and forth to Hyderabad for a couple of years - and have recently 'moved up' to Delhi and Mumbai. I was warned before my first trip to India not to be seen carrying my own briefcase - to never pour water into my glass from a bottle of water sitting on the table etc. etc. etc. As doing these sort of things would make me look less powerful. Pretty much everything you are saying fits with what I thought I had observed in general.

Regarding clothes I guess I was hoping that it was just the crowd I was 'hanging' with that was so conservative and that it might be ok to rock a linen, cotton or other more summer suit now again in that heat! Although during monsoon season I can't imagine that linen would look like anything other than crumpled tissue even before leaving the hotel. And, as you say - I usually don't go anywear outdoors other than from door to car and car to door.

Interested in hearing more from anyone who cares to discuss further. To me this is one of the most interesting aspects of international business - figuring out how different strokes work for different folks.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gdot

Thanks Globetrotter!

Fascinating.......

I've been going back and forth to Hyderabad for a couple of years - and have recently 'moved up' to Delhi and Mumbai. I was warned before my first trip to India not to be seen carrying my own briefcase - to never pour water into my glass from a bottle of water sitting on the table etc. etc. etc. As doing these sort of things would make me look less powerful. Pretty much everything you are saying fits with what I thought I had observed in general.

Regarding clothes I guess I was hoping that it was just the crowd I was 'hanging' with and that was so conservative and that it might be ok to rock a linen, cotton or other more summer suit now again in that heat! Although during monsoon season I can't imagine that linen would look like anything other than crumpled tissue even before leaving the hotel. And, as you say - I usually don't go anywear outdoors other than from door to car and car to door.

Interested in hearing more from anyone who cares to discuss further. To me this is one of the most interesting aspects of international business - figuring out how different strokes work for different folks.

good luck.

yes, its a very interesting subject.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have very less to add here. The perspective of someone like me who was born in Delhi and raised here and only travels outside Delhi for leisure is very different from a foreigner visiting Delhi. I simply don't get remarks by other members who have visited Delhi on business.

Who wears a tie to the office in the 9 months of summer in India ? A SC or suit ? OMFG . It is just so uncomfortable. During summers, shirts and trousers are more than enough. For status, wear a diamond studded Rolex and a 5 carat diamond ring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics