• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual - What's your take?

ap10046

Reaction score
Hi All,
Have just moved to a new employer, where the appropriate dress code is "Business Casual".
Would love to hear your opinions on this.

Cheers!

Eight

Reaction score
Well... at least they are expecting a step up from beach wear.

ap10046

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eight
Well... at least they are expecting a step up from beach wear.

Gee...Thanks...!

Anyone who can offer a more appropriate response to a perfectly simple question?

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ap10046
Gee...Thanks...!

Anyone who can offer a more appropriate response to a perfectly simple question?

Anything OVERRRR 9000!!!!!!1111oneoneoneoneone

... would work just fine.

krawlxx

Reaction score
I am not a fan of business casual at all, but that's because I rarely see it done well. Usually, it seems business casual is either taken as a license to dress poorly, or it becomes more of a uniform than the suit it, with everyone in the office wearing khakis and poorly fitting blue dress shirts. But, when business casual is done right (which, again, is rarely) it can come off really well.

Eight

Reaction score
Sport coats with dress shirts
Sweaters over dress shirts
Sport coats and sweaters over dress shirts
wool or cotton pants
belt
shoes (no thongs or sandals or running shoes)

alexei

Reaction score
"Business casual" is a very vague phrase. In most of America, it seems to mean khakis and a polo. This is a terrible outfit to wear as regular business attire. Business casual, to me, means you don't have to wear a suit. You still have to wear a sport coat (or at least have one available for meetings, I might take it off as soon as I get to the office) or a shirt/tie/sweater combo. Polo shirts are meant for the weekend if at all. You just have to see how others are dressing there and use that as your guide. By that, I mean as a guide to the company's definition of "business casual," not as a guide of how to dress as it may be very poor.

ap10046

Reaction score
Thank you all.
Those are what I was looking for. Definitely will stay away from the khaki/polo combination!
Dress shirt and pants it is.

Thanks again!

Eight

Reaction score
No tie if no jacket or sweater though.

And no short sleeves.

lou

Reaction score
The problem with buisness casual, is that too often they leave out the buisness part of dressing casual. As I see it, buisness dress is suits or sport coat, and tie. Take that down to casual, and you can do away with the coat, and tie.

Buisness casual in my office runs from homeless guy on the street to dress pants and shirt.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I'd say consider it business attire sans jacket and tie, although tie is still optional.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it is kind of BS what women get away with wearing to work. They can wear trousers and a long sleeve tee shirt, call it a blouse and sandals. They can wear the most casual things.

I guess my complaint isn't that they can wear it, it is more than they do. They always look much lazier than the men in casual offices, in my opinion.

detroiter

Reaction score
I am in business casual right now as it is friday. My wardrobe consists of a ralph lauren polo shirt, some armani black label slacks, ferragamo belt, and some bruno magli sorta slip on type shoes with rubber soles, ultra comfortable.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think it is kind of BS what women get away with wearing to work. They can wear trousers and a long sleeve tee shirt, call it a blouse and sandals. They can wear the most casual things.

I guess my complaint isn't that they can wear it, it is more than they do. They always look much lazier than the men in casual offices, in my opinion.

I think there are bigger things to worry about.
fight[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads