• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business casual shoes advice

opi398

Reaction score
Looking at buying some new shoes for the everyday and work. Loving the knitted oxford look. Quite a few I like but what does everyone think of these?

Attachments

• casual knitwear.jpeg
    casual knitwear.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 160

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally not into them.

What about a casual leather shoe, like a derby? You can do an apron toe if you feel a plain toe is too boring.

Panama

Reaction score
That's not a great photo but it doesn't look like a knitted OXFORD to me..

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying some new shoes for the everyday and work. Loving the knitted oxford look. Quite a few I like but what does everyone think of these?

those are sneakers. Call them knitted oxfords if you like but they’re still sneakers.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not describe those as business casual. A pair of derbies or loafers are more appropriate.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I just got these new chukka boots. Being suede I think they would be classified as casual but for me they are on the dressy side of casual, I wouldn't be putting them on to go to the shops or do the school run (the definition of casual these days) but would happily wear them for a business meeting (when we are allowed to have them again) or a meal at a nice restaurant - possibly even a wedding. They have leather soles so that makes them a bit smarter that other suede chukkas in shoe box.

PXL_20210324_120520170.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got these new chukka boots. Being suede I think they would be classified as casual but for me they are on the dressy side of casual, I wouldn't be putting them on to go to the shops or do the school run (the definition of casual these days) but would happily wear them for a business meeting (when we are allowed to have them again) or a meal at a nice restaurant - possibly even a wedding. They have leather soles so that makes them a bit smarter that other suede chukkas in shoe box.

View attachment 1580805

Disagree about your assessment that these are on the "dressy side of casual". The rounded toe makes these a firmly casual boot for me. I would have no problem wearing them to the grocery store, for example. I wouldn't wear these with a suit and I certainly wouldn't wear them to a wedding unless it was very casual. Possibly with a more informal sportcoat/tie.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1580805

short of being worn with formal business wear, that’s about as versatile a footwear option as you’ll find.

they are definitely casual, but there’s nothing wrong with that. For most of us, it’s probably how we dress 90% of the time.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think the reason I'd hesitate to put them on for food shopping or something very casual is that I wouldn't want to scuff them as the suede is so smooth and - nice (an adjective I try to avoid as it's so bland, but in this case it's the best word I can find to describe them).
I have another pair that are almost identical but a lighter brown and from a slightly cheaper brand (Alfred Sargent) that I would wear without hesitation for grocery shopping. These ones I'd wear for a trip to John Lewis with my wife then a spot of lunch. But for Tesco I generally just wear my trainers that I don't even have to lace up.
The personal relationships I build up with each pair of shoes I own is , even down to my battered steel toecaps for when I occasionally have to visit building sites, is one of my favourite things about putting thought into footwear. Rather than just being a "smart shoes for work, trainers for everything else" type of person as I was up till about the age of 30.
Still not into loafers or full brogues. To me, they just have a connotation of "try hard" that I only feel comfortable expressing outwardly in formal situations, which of course they aren't suitable for. I expect I'll get there though.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suede is more durable than you may think—certainly more so than calfskin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads