• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual Shoe for First Job

cats33cats

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently been offered my first full time position out of college and I am looking to purchase a pair of shoes to wear in the office. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Strand in walnut as well as the Park Avenue in black. I also own a pair of the Walden in burgundy but I seldom wear these because I feel that my wardrobe does not match them. I feel that the Strand may be too showy for office wear and am looking for a more subdued shoe in brown that is lace up. Business casual in this sense is a tucked in button up shirt with khaki or chino pants. I would prefer to purchase Allen Edmonds because I am very happy with the two pairs that I own.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide and please feel free to post pictures!

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I don't think the Strand is too flashy for business casual. I, for one, wear them in that environment and feel fine about it. I've even worn the Strand with jeans on occasion. Do what makes you comfortable. There are a ton of brown shoe options that would work, including suede options. As far as the Strand - the worst thing that can happen is you will get a comment like "wow, those are cool shoes." Most people won't care in all likelihood.

RollTideTeej

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't wear the walnut strands on your first day, get the feel of the office then decide from there. You may find that you can get away with them. You could go with the park aves for your first day and be just fine I'm sure.
By subdued I assume you mean color? Then you could go with fifth ave or the mcallister in brown burnished calf. But since you're wearing them with chinos, you may want open lacing...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also suggest the Fifth Ave. or Macallister, although a plain toe derby like the Kenilworth might be a versatile choice in your situation.

RollTideTeej

Reaction score
Would the Delray in brown burnished calf be a bit more conservative?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1208_1_40000000001_-1

More conservative than the walnut strand? Definitely. I'm not a big fan of the split toe look, but that's just me. I wouldn't rush out to buy anything until you've been there a day or two and seen what others are wearing. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't be individual but you want to get the feel of the office. Also if you don't feel comfortable straying to far from the norm at work then it's best to wait.

RollTideTeej

Reaction score
I would also suggest the Fifth Ave. or Macallister, although a plain toe derby like the Kenilworth might be a versatile choice in your situation.

Kenilworth is also a great suggestion. Those could definitely work with chinos.

cats33cats

Reaction score
Good points everyone, would my brown leather Clark's desert boots (not suede) work for a first day? I wore the Park Avenue's with a suit to the first interview and with just a jacket and khakis to the second after they said "this interview will be the last time that you have to wear a suit and tie here."

Those Kenilworth shoes look great.

Last edited:

RollTideTeej

Reaction score
Wow, sounds like it's a very casual environment, you might be able to wear the desert boots. Then again, I think the waldens could definitely work too. Dressed up but since they're loafers, not as much. I know you say you don't wear them much because you don't feel like they go with your clothes, but I think they're pretty classic and can go with a lot of looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads