• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Business-Casual Shoe Advice

butanebob

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently started building up my wardrobe and I wear casual to business casual such as chinos, shirts, henleys etc. I am looking for sort of multipurpose boots that goes well with both aforementioned styles. Unfortunately, I am also a recent grad and unable to splurge on Allen Edmonds and such. So my criteria: budget of ~$200, considering Doc Martens/Rockports, and also could you guys suggest and entry tier brands or stores that cater such type of shoes?

Thanks!

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clarks DB?

butanebob

Reaction score
I currently own a different pair of Clarks boots and I have been extremely disappointed with their quality! The current pair's sole gave up within in 2-3 months of occasional use and recently my replacement pair's sole is slowly giving up and it has been 8-9 months of daily use.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not surprising. Meanwhile, Rockports and Doc Martens tend not to look like proper shoes for the office. How about providing size info and an approximate location?

butanebob

Reaction score
I agree they do not look like office shoes, but they are comfortable and within my budget for now. Btw, I wear US size 8 and location is Washington DC.

BchBum11511

Reaction score
I'm still new to the forum (and learning to dress myself
), but I just picked up some Allen Edmonds from their seconds sale. I got a pair of Delrays for casual wear for just over $200 w/tax. Don't see anything wrong with them for seconds.

Haven't had a chance to wear them out since I'm on vacation at the beach, but when I tried them on, they looked good to me with chinos. Take a look at the shoe bank. You might find a pair of AEs for your budget.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curbed Enthusiasm

Reaction score
When you say you want boots, are you thinking an actual leather boot or chukkas/desert boots? The latter would seem to me to be more in-line with what you are likely describing but wanted to check.

JackScagnetti

Reaction score
I used to buy Rockports all the time but since they have gone through so many take overs their shoes are now crap. The sole's are not even real leather and last only a few months. The shoe itself feels like card board and your feet will hurt with only walking a short distance. Chalk this company up as another one who have sold out to get more money out of you while making an inferior product.

Before Rockport i got Bostonian's but their shoe never lasted very long for me either. I tend to be hard on my shoes and really can't afford Johnson and Murphy or Allen Edmonds.

Anyone have any other budget shoe for business casual shoe?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JackScagnetti

Reaction score
Wish i had 200 bucks to blow on shoes though those do look nice. especially the Johnston & Murphy's I just got some Kennth Cole's they are having a huge sale. I never purchased KC's before...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 109 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%