1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Business Casual Shirts for Public Speaking?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Bms259, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Bms259

Bms259 Member

Hi,

I am searching for a few good business casual dress shirts. Something in slimmer modern cut, in a dark color, in a wrinkle-resistant fabric would be ideal.

I have a very minimalist approach to style. I lead a small non-profit. Most days to the office and out in the community I wear a pair of dark Levi 501 STF, brown Wolverine 1000 mile boots, and a dark or light grey button-down Oxford. It works really well with my work. On days I need to dress it up a bit I'll wear a sport coat. I don't tend to wear patterned shirts, but do try to choose shirts with good texture.

About once a week, I do some public speaking for the organization to a diverse group of business leaders, teachers, farmers, and construction workers. A few come dressed in suits, some in jeans and a sweatshirt, and most in between. I try to dress in-between. I usually wear a pair of Dockers 5 Pocket Pants, with shined 1000 Mile Books, a skinny tie and a shirt. I'd just wear my day-to-day oxfords, but they get wrinkled really quickly. So right now I just wear either blue broad cloth shirt or a non-iron Oxford from JCPennys. I have one dark grey Wrinkle Resistant shirt from the Gap I like a lot. But I hate the shirts from JCPennys. They stay nice and crisps, but the collar is really big, and the cut is bad.

My day-to-day shirts that fit pretty well are some Oxfords from J Crew Factory and from the Gap. I am 5'10 155lbs.

Any direction would be much appreciated. I have no clue where to go. I just need a well-fitting modern shirt that is not too formal but still presentable in a subdued color and texture. (Maybe I'm asking too much!)

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Wrinkles are always going to happen, regarless. I think that with your style, a shirt in chambray or otherwise, would suit you well. The first brand that sprang to mind when I thought of your style is "Taylor Stitch", who have a lot of shirts that might be good for a non-profit - looks good without being overly fashiony and distracting, and also both casual enough for the sweatshirt crowd and "makes an effort" enough for the suits:

https://www.taylorstitch.com/collections/mens-shirts

Their casual and utility shirts can be a little wrinkled without looking sloppy:

[​IMG][​IMG]