• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business casual questions

as22

Reaction score
A few random questions about business casual. In my situation, it means dress shirts with no tie, nice trousers, and rarely a sportcoat.

1. Is it mainly an American thing about french cuffs only being for suits? I see pretty casual looking designs from H&K, H&H, TM Lewin etc. which seem like they'd be fine with silk knots and no tie or jacket. What's the big deal?

2. Are black cap-toes considered okay for business casual? If not, what's wrong with black loafers? I go on AAAC and they make it sound like you must wear only button down shirts, sportcoats, and no black loafers.

3. After a navy blazer, what would be next to pair with charcoal, black, and grey trousers which are either solid, herringbone, or houndstooth. I'm looking at either black/white glen plaid or grey tweed.

4. What's the difference in belts for business formal vs. casual? Seems a little bit overboard.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by as22
A few random questions about business casual. In my situation, it means dress shirts with no tie, nice trousers, and rarely a sportcoat.

1. Is it mainly an American thing about french cuffs only being for suits? I see pretty casual looking designs from H&K, H&H, TM Lewin etc. which seem like they'd be fine with silk knots and no tie or jacket. What's the big deal?

2. Are black cap-toes considered okay for business casual? If not, what's wrong with black loafers? I go on AAAC and they make it sound like you must wear only button down shirts, sportcoats, and no black loafers.

3. After a navy blazer, what would be next to pair with charcoal, black, and grey trousers which are either solid, herringbone, or houndstooth. I'm looking at either black/white glen plaid or grey tweed.

4. What's the difference in belts for business formal vs. casual? Seems a little bit overboard.

2. Black cap toes are too formal for anything but a suit. Nothing wrong with black casuals but brown is more fitting with casual clothes during the day.

3. A wheat or cream solid jacket. Pattern mixing jacket and trousers is more of a country look. Possible, but hard to say something works without seeing it.

4. A braided belt, for example, is more casual than plain calf, just as brogued shoes are more casual than plain ones.

as22

Reaction score
Thanks. I know these questions are pretty basic.

This is for a 1st yr associate in a law firm or inv. bank type of environment, so the sportcoat would ideally be something darker. What kind of dress casual shoes do you recommend? I actually like some of the AE dress casual shoes. Most people seem to go with Ferragamo. Any other more unique options?

Anyone else?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jackets you list would be fine with solid trousers.
Re shoes, how about some classic loafers from Alden or AE as an alternative to the ubiquitous Ferragamos?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. I don't know if it's an American thing or not, but, I suppose you could get away with wearing french cuffs without a tie and jacket. I wouldn't do it personally because I see french cuffs as too formal for wearing without a tie, but that's just my personal feeling on the thing, I don't think there's a feeling throughout America on this one way or another.

2. Black loafers are fine to wear for business casual and so are black captoes. The only people that will notice that you are wearing black captoes without a suit and the only people that would care are members of this (and related) forum - and those people are very few and far between. To think that anyone at a big law firm or investment bank would care that you're wearing black captoes with a business casual outfit is ridiculous. If anything, all these people would think is that you're new and you only have one pair of shoes. In fact, most men who are not members here probably only own a pair or two of shoes.

3. I'd go with a brown tweed blazer.

4. No difference, wear the same belts. There are more casual belts, but they aren't really appropriate for business casual either. For example, a ribbon belt is more casual, but I wouldn't wear it with a business casual outfit. I just wear the same belts - brown, black and burgundy, depending on what shoes I'm wearing.

Most important of all, don't forget that your clothes aren't the most important thing at work - far from it. Your work ethic and quality (and speed) of work product will determine your future first and foremost.

as22

Reaction score
Thanks, that's the info I needed. Do you know where I can find something like these on sale? Or alternative brands with similar styles. I'd prefer to pay less than 250 (on sale).

Granby_large.jpg

SFN6021_mn.jpg

SFN5150_mn.jpg

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of those loafers, I would suggest getting some derbies instead.

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Instead of those loafers, I would suggest getting some derbies instead.

+1 -- consider derbies/bluchers rather than loafers.

A couple years ago my interest was drawn to kiltie tassels, but fortuntely I was dissuaded before buying any.

as22

Reaction score
Could you all post some suggestions? Why don't you like any of those loafers?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you like any of those loafers?
To tell you the truth, I have a visceral reaction to loafers, so I can't really say. But I believe the general feeling is that loafers are casual, obiqutious, lazy, geriatric, unrefined, or even sleezy. They can be done well (particularly for trad), but should not be the business casual staple that so many men seem to consider them as. In a nutshell, shoes with laces look smarter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics