• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual is Hard

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in a business casual environment.

Most of the time, I don't really care. I just dress business casual and my suits sit in my closet unworn.

However, there are times when it drives me nuts. I've got to give a presentation to the CEO next week, presenting/defending my department budget etc. It's a somewhat "formal" occasion, and I'd feel much more comfortable wearing a suit, tie, and well-polished dress shoes than some business casual outfit. I'm considering just wearing the suit and tie in spite of our business casual culture, but am going back and forth on this.

WWSFD? (What would Style Forum do?)

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happen to like it a lot. Let's you stand out quite a bit more. Business Casual for 99% of the population means terrible fitting pleated khakis, square toe / rubber soled junk shoes, and a tent-like cheap shirt.

Snatch up some quality slim-fitting cotton twill or wool pants (can someone say Mabitex on the cheap?!), some quality slim-fit shirts that actually fit (I prefer button-down collars for a no-tie business casual environment), and step your shoe game up BIG TIME. I also like non-boring socks with some unexpected colors/patterns for that extra bit. Lastly, you'd be surprised what a nice briefcase can do for you (again, compared to the 99% of the population that have cheap canvas Dell computer bags slugged over their shoulder or backpacks).

Dont forget now that the winter is coming you can start wearing some sweaters or heavy knit cardigans and such

Oh, and to answer your question... I think deep down you know if you can pull off a suit where you work. Personally? If I walked in wearing a tie, people would ask me why I'm wearing it. Sometimes it's just not reasonable for your work environment

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
WWSFD? SF would wear a suit and tie, be horribly out of place but smug about being "correct" and then complain about everyone at work snikkering behind their backs until asking SF's opinion on getting a new job that allows you to wear a suit.

what would I recomend? wear a suit, sans tie, or just do business casual as usual but wear something nice, add a sportscoat so you're 1+ and leave it at that (what I generall do for most meetings)

jrsmiles

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a sport coat. My office isn't very tie suited, now and then when clients visit our executive staff may wy wear a suit, but normally just a coat.

I think coats go a long way, and you can feel more relaxed in them, rather than a full suit/tie.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would normally sauy go for it,I would never tell a man who has a desire to wear a suit not to do so. My only hold up would be that if your the only one wearing a suit I would not do it. It is never a good idea to dress better then your bosses or anyone higher up then you so if theywill not be wearng suits to this meeting then it go go badly for you if you do.

Sonny Black

Reaction score
Given the situation, I would wear the suit as it displays the respect the situation, and your fellow employees (both those who you manage, and of course the superiors at the preso) deserve. But that's just me. However, if you must go business casual, then everything must be well fitted, and in proportion to make it work. The common thread of all three in these pictures, is a suit jacket, or blazer. Please see pictures attached. If you don't have enough in your wardrobe to pull off such a look, then stick with the suit, as you cannot fail. Good luck with the presentation.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably done to death... but where to find slim fit business casual shirts for relatively decent price? (ie. under $100).

All of mine kinda poof out when I sit down.

detroiter

Reaction score
My biz casual fridays consist of zanellas and a polo shirt. I get sick of suits and dressing up everyday, love wearing a damn polo shirt. At my bank you are not allowed to wear khakis for biz casual days.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
I happen to like it a lot. Let's you stand out quite a bit more. Business Casual for 99% of the population means terrible fitting pleated khakis, square toe / rubber soled junk shoes, and a tent-like cheap shirt.

Snatch up some quality slim-fitting cotton twill or wool pants (can someone say Mabitex on the cheap?!), some quality slim-fit shirts that actually fit (I prefer button-down collars for a no-tie business casual environment), and step your shoe game up BIG TIME. I also like non-boring socks with some unexpected colors/patterns for that extra bit. Lastly, you'd be surprised what a nice briefcase can do for you (again, compared to the 99% of the population that have cheap canvas Dell computer bags slugged over their shoulder or backpacks).

Dont forget now that the winter is coming you can start wearing some sweaters or heavy knit cardigans and such

Oh, and to answer your question... I think deep down you know if you can pull off a suit where you work. Personally? If I walked in wearing a tie, people would ask me why I'm wearing it. Sometimes it's just not reasonable for your work environment

This

Originally Posted by jrsmiles
You can't go wrong with a sport coat. My office isn't very tie suited, now and then when clients visit our executive staff may wy wear a suit, but normally just a coat.

I think coats go a long way, and you can feel more relaxed in them, rather than a full suit/tie.

Plus if it's reasonable for your work environment - this too.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took me years to figure it out in my business casual job, but:

Fall/winter means corduroy. Get them in many colors.

I second the point about shoes. You can go apeshit with shoes.

Same goes for socks.

And I also second the points about button-down collars, sweaters and fit.

Get a nice bag.

Get a nice trench or something similar. Actually, get a few colors if you can swing it. (Lord knows I can't).

Seconding the interesting socks point.

Today I just happened to get the most compliments from female coworkers in a LONG time. Here's what I wore: Charcoal merino J Crew sweater, blue gingham J Crew button-down, burgundy J Crew corduroys, pea soup-n-puke colored socks, Allen Edmonds Byrons in "chili." Somehow this is a look to aim for.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a presentation to the CEO is a reasonable excuse to wear a suit, but then it really depends on the atmosphere of your workplace in particular...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be an opportunity to step up your game. This day is signifigant in that you are giving a presentation to your CEO. It can't hurt to give a little extra. If that means wearing a suit, then do so. Your respecting the company's money. Will there also be company investors at this meeting? or outside clientele the CEO needs to impress? There may also be the CEO's perception of you involved, in which case a suit may do better. From day to day you are Billy ('he dresses nice-does his job'). On presentation day be William ('damn, I never knew he was this good-I could use him in a higher position'.) I doubt the CEO will brow beat you for respecting the occasion at your best. Were it me I would wear a tie, a conservative one, with the suit and nicely polished black shoes. Just don't out-dress the CEO. Edit- Adding some afterthoughts... If over-dressed that CEO may think he's over-budgeted your department
plain.gif
and make cuts, you, possibly among them?
angry.gif
Perhaps a sport jacket is better or as Master-Classter suggested, a suit with no tie. You know the CEO better than we do so go with your gut feeling on his personality, or even ask him if he has any preference to your clothes for that day? Last Edit- Wait..it gets even more confusing... If you ask him what to wear maybe he'll wonder what else of your job you don't know what to do..could be bad. Back to first instincts...I'd go with the suit and tie.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
probably done to death... but where to find slim fit business casual shirts for relatively decent price? (ie. under $100).

All of mine kinda poof out when I sit down.

There's a whole thread on this on the first page of the forum...

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I think a presentation to the CEO is a reasonable excuse to wear a suit, but then it really depends on the atmosphere of your workplace in particular...

Sir, I respectfully disagree. A suit and tie is standard for presentation to the CEO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads