• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual Interview Attire

Narwhal688

Reaction score
Hi, I recently received an invitation to an interview. It is for a job as a pilot for a cargo airline. The interview instructions specifically state:
Dress Code The interview dress code is business casual. For example, for men, dress pants, sportcoat, and shirt. For women, dress pants or slacks and blouse (skirts and dresses are also acceptable).
I went to the local mega chain "suit store" for a fitting. The salesman recommended a navy blue sportcoat with "taupe" (dark brown) colored slacks and dark brown (almost kinda reddish though) leather shoes and belt. He also selected a light blue, vertical striped button-up shirt. There was no tie (and I've received information from colleagues stating that interviewees have been chastised for wearing a tie to this interview). I thought I looked odd in the blue jacket for some reason, so I changed it to a charcoal. In retrospect it seems like the dark gray jacket might be clashing with the pants, but the salesman did not question me. Long story short, it's all getting tailored now and I can't help but second guess my color selection. I'm a fat guy so it's important that I try not to look like a whale. I think that's why I lean toward dark colors but I'm afraid the brown pants might make me seem bottom heavy. I just don't know about the dark gray/tote/blue stripe color combination. Anyway, I'm really nervous about this outfit. It would've been easier just to do a suit, but I have to follow their rules. I only have 4 days until the interview, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks! Shirt: SHIRT Pants: PANTS Sportcoat:
144402CK_F10_CC.jpg
Shoes (belt same color): Rockport Waitsfield Burgundy Cap-Toe Dress Shoe

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Hello my good man! I believe the salesman was giving you insight into classic color pairings. The colors he suggested do go well together, but as you said if you are worried about weight, darker colors do appear more slimmer and flattering I've seen/read. I like your choice of the charcoal jacket, very nice, I assume you kept the dark brown slacks? Try matching that charcoal jacket with a black slacks and see if you don't like it better. Then the reddish-brown (wine?) colored shoes will look great. I can see it now..

Obviously you'd have to look into a new color for shirt and tie, but that shouldn't be too hard now.
You could always go with a white shirt as to not clash and choose tie to match or accent your shoes (I like the paisley design personally).

So in the end
Charcoal Jacket
White (or lighter gray than jacket) dress shirt
Tie (color to compliment shoes)
Black slacks
Wine colored leather dress shoe

See if you can get some photos up of your choices, good luck with the interview!

Narwhal688

Reaction score
This is the shirt (I have elected to forgo the tie, they apparently they do not want it, as evidenced by their reprimand of others who have worn one to the interview, although I know some of them still got the job):

SHIRT

These are the pants, or at least very very similar. The belt and shoes are also about the same:

PANTS

The sport coat is a calvin klein and it's similar to this one (it might actually be black although it looked like very dark gray to me).

144402CK_F10_CC.jpg

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Understood. I think with the coat it will be apparent if it's black or not when worn or compared against the black pants.

I'm not sure why that color of brown bugs me, maybe I was expecting an even darker shade, just in case the coat is indeed black, I feel the current shade of brown would look awkward. But of course it's per taste. Really liking the pinstripe button-down, it would go nice without a tie since it's not allowed, because of the vertical-striped design.

How about the shoes?

Narwhal688

Reaction score
These are the shoes: Rockport Waitsfield Burgundy Cap-Toe Dress Shoe The belt matches their color. I too had reservations about the color of the pants mainly....they had a "butterscotch" look to them and the ensemble reminds me of resse's peanut butter cups. Granted I was wearing a black polo at the time and did not look at it with the blue dress shirt. That is probably also why I didn't consider the sportcoat to be true black, it was a shade or two lighter than my shirt at the time. In the end, the salesman seemed to think it looked okay. I guess I should just trust his judgement since he does this everyday. I always feel pressure to get out of clothing stores quickly for some reason.

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
I see. Hah and since we're on the talk of sweets, this color reminds me of milk chocolate! lol

I learned not to trust every salesman's judgment. Or rather, always go for 2nd opinion. Same with mechanics lol. I think you would be ok if the pants were a bit darker, and the shirt was something other than navy in color.

Narwhal688

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help, Expressions Realia. The shirts are relatively cheap so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get a shirt in a different color and see how it compares. Perhaps solid burgundy to match the shoes and belt? Or maybe the same shirt in tan stripes to complement the pants? I could wear the blue one on the way to Miami the day prior anyway.

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Not a problem! And you may me call me "ER" for shot if you'd like, or by my first name Unyime. My username is in fact my blog name, lol.

Well of course if they're cheap why not? I would be digging a white or light gray shirt under that coat, or even that same pinstripe one as a matter of fact. Then of course the belt could match the shoes easily.

ktrp

Reaction score
Essentially agree with ER.

Most importantly, wanted to tell you to relax. Be comfortable. If the salesman told you it was okay, it probably looks fine. Is it the perfect colour combination? Who knows. You probably won't be hired or not hired based on ideal colour use.

From what you've said, they WILL judge you on your ability to follow instructions, and I can understand that. The told you to wear a sportsjacket, dress pants and shirt. You will be showing up in sportsjacket, dress pants, shirt, with shoes/belt that are appropriate, matching and in good shape.

My guess is, this earns you a 'tickmark' for being dressed _as they asked_. The guys who wore a tie, maybe it looked great, maybe it was lovely, but it was NOT what they were asked to do.

Your clothes will be fine for this interview. You've worried enough. If you _want_ to play with shirt/pant colour you can, but do that for your self, it is not required at this point.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt looks nice. The brands in question aren't so good. Men's Wearhouse has a lousy reputation for a reason. In the future, try not to buy everything from one source. Florsheim probably would have been better choice than Rockports (though that brand is fine for casual shoes).

Narwhal688

Reaction score
I just wanted to stop by and say thanks again for the help. I got the job! Either fashion isn't too important for cargo pilots or they liked the suit (I'm guessing the former). Thanks again for the help.

Mike147

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Narwhal688
I just wanted to stop by and say thanks again for the help. I got the job! Either fashion isn't too important for cargo pilots or they liked the suit (I'm guessing the former). Thanks again for the help.

Congrats on getting the job!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads