• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business casual in Germany

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Germany for business soon. I'm curious what the German version of business casual is like. Thanks!

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where in Germany? What kind of business? I remember reading a couple years ago that three-piece suits were gaining popularity among Germans again.

swb120

Reaction score
Perhaps this?

dietersprockets.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends upon what type of business, who you will be seeing, etc.

But, whenever in doubt, I always dress up a few notches. My hosts always seem to appreciate it.

Jupiter

Reaction score
Black trousers, black shoes, light grey jacket, white shirt and black tie. Very stern.

I have seem this combo too many times.

In my experience and in agreement with the previous poster, dress a few notches above what you expect.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the feeling that bowties are quite popular in Germany. Very surprising for someone from Spain.

Frittata

Reaction score
Well...it depends
plain.gif

I work in the IT department of a so called "Mittelständler".
This means we are big but not big as BMW or Siemens.

In my department people dress very casual. Except of the leading positions almost everyone is in jeans. If I wear a suit I'm often asked if I've got a meeting.

In the banking sector it's a different story. Everyone wears suits with ties.
So if you don't want to go wrong: Charcoal suit with a plain shirt and tie.

Regarding bowties: I live in a fashion friendly town and I've never seen bowties.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frittata
Regarding bowties: I live in a fashion friendly town and I've never seen bowties.

Seconded.

Originally Posted by Jupiter
Black trousers, black shoes, light grey jacket, white shirt and black tie. Very stern.

Not too common either, actually. It´s a look that still seems to be in favor with the self-proclaimed creative set, rather.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I'll be in Germany for business soon. I'm curious what the German version of business casual is like. Thanks!

I guess business casual in Germany is not too different from business casual anywhere else in the world. The American idea of that look is pretty much prevalent in many European countries, with slight nuances. The basics are the same, though: nice pair of grey flannel pants, chinos, khakis, corduroys or jeans, paired with a ocbd with or w/o tie, blazer, sport coat or sweater, depending on the occasion and the type of business you´re in.

No sweat. It´s not like we´re all running around in Jankerl and Lederhosen, Roland Loden style.

Things are just as good and just as bad over here as almost anywhere in the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads