1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Business cards

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Style guy, Nov 16, 2004.

1. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

I am reviving this thread.

Can anyone suggest a good website for business cards and the best business card font?

Thanks.

There are several websites that will do it, but as another poster suggested, you are better off working with a local printer. If you have the time to visit they can probably show you different card stocks and fonts.

Helvetica is one of many default business fonts. Others include Frutiger, avant garde and futura. you can look these fonts and others here:

http://www.fonts.com/

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Florida State had a quarterback one year who came on campus, as a freshman passing out cards that read "Chris Rix, Starting Quarterback for the Florida State Seminoles" and had his number and email. A girlfriend of mine was a lucky recipient of one of the cards. She thought it the height of douchebaggery. Apparently the amount of hazing this induced made him change numbers. He did wind up starting (after injuries & whatnot to people in front of him) but was perhaps the most hated quarterback we've ever had.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I actually met Rix after a Canes/Noles game. He would make Hotchickswithdouchebags.com proud. What a major league cocksucker.

3. Rani

Rani Active Member

Here is a list of fontshop germany's top 100 fonts: http://www.100besteschriften.de/

Although the link is in German the names of the typefaces are exactly the same in English.

Also in the American Psycho business card scene the last 2 business cards shown are simply in Helvetica regular.

Hope that helps.

4. sonick

sonick Senior member

Here is a list of fontshop germany's top 100 fonts: http://www.100besteschriften.de/

Although the link is in German the names of the typefaces are exactly the same in English.

Also in the American Psycho business card scene the last 2 business cards shown are simply in Helvetica regular.

Hope that helps.

What, no Comic Sans?! Blasphemy!

Joking, joking...[​IMG]

5. Rani

Rani Active Member

What, no Comic Sans?! Blasphemy!

Joking, joking...[​IMG]

Yeah, they missed Sand as well. [​IMG]

6. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

Where can I get some envy educing cards made in LA? Kinkos don't cut it. I want someone to want to kill me in the bathroom when I hand them a card with my info.

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Where can I get some envy educing cards made in LA? Kinkos don't cut it. I want someone to want to kill me in the bathroom when I hand them a card with my info.
    I'm looking into www.psprint.com as some friends of mine got decent ones made there.

8. carlhuber

carlhuber Senior member

Clearly you folks ignored my post about working with an actual graphic designer. Note I didn't say work with a print shop. I said work with a designer. We have stock libraries of thousands of fonts. And we know how to use them. (I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it?) Helvetica and futura are crap - they look like everyone else's fonts - because they are everybody else's fonts. Chances are if you've heard of it...it's boring.

9. casanova

casanova Active Member

How very American Psycho this thread is.....

10. casanova

casanova Active Member

haha

I should really have read the thread first. I see that ground's been covered already.

11. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Clearly you folks ignored my post about working with an actual graphic designer. Note I didn't say work with a print shop. I said work with a designer.

We have stock libraries of thousands of fonts. And we know how to use them. (I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it?) Helvetica and futura are crap - they look like everyone else's fonts - because they are everybody else's fonts. Chances are if you've heard of it...it's boring.

I read it. I just don't want to pay someone more than I have to for a calling card that someone will think I am a serial killer for giving them.

A designer is good, but luckily I have design-y friends. You can still work with a designer and then get it printed elsewhere.

12. tarotsternchen

tarotsternchen Member

hi very cool is write typ in oldgerman style
    its look exklusiv and stylish

13. Rani

Rani Active Member

I read it. I just don't want to pay someone more than I have to for a calling card that someone will think I am a serial killer for giving them.

A designer is good, but luckily I have design-y friends. You can still work with a designer and then get it printed elsewhere.

So long as your friends are actual graphic designers then it should be fine. The only concern would be if they were in adjacent fields like photography or multi-media. In those cases you would have slim to no chance of them understanding typography. Although if a calling card isn't really going to be that important to you then it would not be the biggest of concerns. Best of luck.[​IMG]

14. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Clearly you folks ignored my post about working with an actual graphic designer. Note I didn't say work with a print shop. I said work with a designer.

We have stock libraries of thousands of fonts. And we know how to use them. (I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it?) Helvetica and futura are crap - they look like everyone else's fonts - because they are everybody else's fonts. Chances are if you've heard of it...it's boring.

Yes, but how much 6-point type do you really need?

[​IMG]

Branding and identity are some of the weirdest things to pay for - especially a new company. Always loved and hated it. Loved it as an expression of the company's soul and hated it as though it might be like a photograph that somehow fixes and steals that soul.

15. jacklee15

jacklee15 New Member

16. Jdeansmith11

Jdeansmith11 Well-Known Member

My old business card used to say "Life Conoisseur," now it says "Panda Extraordinaire"

17. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Looking to do actual printed business cards now, with texture and all that. Unfortunately vistaprint won't cut it. Suggestions?

Again, I'm looking for texture. Cost isn't that big of an issue, but it's still a little bit of an issue.

18. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I use a brick and mortar for my calling cards, which are blind embossed and engraved. http://www.bradleyengraved.com/ This is a real printer/letterpress shop. They can do whatever you want. I thought the service was very good.My cards were pretty expensive because of the emboss die, but refills are reasonable. I forget how much.

~ H

19. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I went to a place that carries Crane's. This was the font (from the "Executive Flat Card"). I put just my name in the center of the card, with office address plus e=mail (3 lines) in lower left and phone/fax (2 lines) in lower right. Black ink on off-white card.

I decided to keep things clean and uncluttered, as there would be fewer mistakes to regret later. Since I haven't bothered to get a firm name, this format has worked very well. At least one Asian contact I've given it to has praised its directness and simplicity. Not that it's made any other sort of difference one way or another. Perhaps it was the local passive-aggressive code for "douchebag alert."

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  20. daveteller

daveteller Member

Creating a business card depends on the type of business that you have and the type of audience you want to attract. I decided to create a simple design business cards, using with only the most basic information such as: logo, contact information and basic hints about my business. For me it is essential that business card is informative and contains all the important information and less content.