• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Attire

Neil41487

Reaction score
First off, I'm a new member and very interested in the opinions of style minded people, and for that I thank you! My background: I work in a field that requires at the very least, business casual. I'm 6'2", roughly 170 lbs. I have a tall build. I don't want to wear a full "plain" suit.

Goals: Be comfortable, fashionable, and stand-out in the corporate crowd!

My plan was to wear a pair of black pants, black shoes, black belt.

For shirts I want to wear light colored button ups; whites, blues, greens, yellows, pinks, IE pastels and match (when a tie is worn) with the same color dark version of the tie.

My questions:

1) Does this look work?

2) Stripes or no stripes or mix?

3) Does a solid tie make sense with a solid shirt? (pending on answer from last question)

4) Would a vest be overkill, or look good in comparison to no vest.

Added Bonus Item: I have glasses, and want the full look (and have access to an excellent eye care provider -- my dad and brother), suggestions for a pair of glasses to fine tune the look I'm going for?

Thanks in advance!

-Neil P

ykurtz

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you could provide some pics or drawings you're hoping to either emulate or learn from. A lot would work on your architecture but not work because of your hair color/complexion. A fuller picture to start with would allow us to be more helpful. For example, a picture of you in something you already like would be more helpful than a chalk outline of you and a note discovered in your coat pocket.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. The others will probably reply to you soon, but the 'black with the black with the black' thing and the white shirt is perfect for a hotel staff or funeral home. Unless you toss the white shirt for a black one, then you'll be doing the Johnny Cash thing. It's overkill, and won't (in my opinion) be the right look for an office. Are you acquaintd with GQ and Details magazines? I would reccommend them both each month as a guide. Their online counter-parts are here: http://men.style.com/gq http://men.style.com/details/ You can also spend some time sifting through our very own 'What Are You Wearing Right Now' thread (WAYWRN) which is ongoing. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...2619&page=2619 Enjoy the pics to get ideas. These guys are the experts
wink.gif

Neil41487

Reaction score
Heres some examples of the style I have not explained clearly.

Ryan Reynolds is a good example of my body size, sans beard.

Dustin-Lance-Black_0.jpg

jcrew-vest.jpg

ryan-reynolds-vestacular.jpg

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neil41487
Goals: Be comfortable, fashionable, and stand-out in the corporate crowd! My plan was to wear a pair of black pants, black shoes, black belt. For shirts I want to wear light colored button ups; whites, blues, greens, yellows, pinks, IE pastels and match (when a tie is worn) with the same color dark version of the tie.
You wouldn't stand out very much. That seems to be very common business casual attire. Black shoes, black belt, dark trousers and light shirt is the business casual uniform. I'm not a fan of the vest and would never wear one. I have seen it look OK on some and look bad on others. To me it looks a little affected if you're never seen wearing a jacket over the top. Edit: Everyone is now rolling up their sleeves. I don't know why it annoys me. Maybe because they're still at work, in an air-conditioned office, and have no intention of getting their hands dirty. Maybe it's because it doesn't look genuine. I don't know, it just does.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You'll stand out much more in a suit that fits well, try Charcoal gray or Navy, definitely not black.

The colors of shirts you have in mind will work, though i would stick mostly to White, Light blue, light pink, light purple.

Patterns:

I would stick to gingham checks, light stripes and window panes, but go for mostly solids.

Ties,

Everyone does that thing that your talking about with matching the same color tie, different shade, dont do it, dont buy a white tie ether. They usually do it with the matching Macys brand tie paired with a huge loose knot that looks equally terrible.

So instead buy:

Navy Pindots
Navy Solid
Burgundy (wine) pindots
Light Pink
Light gray glen plaid with an overcheck
Yellow Paisley

I would also go for a Purple and maybe a green pindot.

This is all you need in ties, but buy something nice light Polo or Purple label and tie a four in the hand, you'll get more compliments on your ties then anything you find at macys with its matching shirt.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neil41487
Heres some examples of the style I have not explained clearly. Ryan Reynolds is a good example of my body size, sans beard.
I hope you know that Ryan Reynolds is in absolutely tip top shape. He's 6'2" but I can assure you he weighs more than 170. That said, I agree with what others have posted. I see it in my office all the time. Young guys trying to look fashionable and modern. Black pants, black rubber soled square toed shoes, black belt with a massive chunk of metal as the buckle, pastel shirts with light colored ties and massive windsor knots. To make matters even worse, they have the fit all wrong. Shirts are too baggy/billowy, pants that are far too long, jackets (if they ever wear them) that fit like sacks or are too tight, both with sleeves far too long. They all look like they shop at Express and Club Monaco together. It makes them look extremely juvenile. I'd suggest you go for colors, patterns, fabrics, and shoes that your peers aren't all wearing. That would make you stand out. I'm 23 and I get great reactions both within the office, on the streets, and out casually based on the fact that I dress well, yet differently from those my age. Navy, Charcoal, Browns and grays are great colors for pants. You'd want to start with a Charcoal and Navy suit. Shirts with mild checks, gingham patterns, solids (start with white and light blue), and some stripes are a good start, make sure they fit well. Get a pair of solid black cap toes and brown wingtips would be a great place to start for shoes as well. The advice SkinnyGoomba gave is solid (however you don't have to buy Purple label ties to have a quality necktie that makes a good knot
tounge.gif
but do know what quality tie material is)

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear alot of Polo label ties also and they knot very well.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice all around on the last few posts. My two cents is to keep everything slim - pants, shirt and tie. Have your shirts taken in at the sides if you can't find a slim fit variety that fits you well. And I will reiterate - no black pants. Dark brown wingtips will look good with your grey pants or khakis in the summer.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I wear alot of Polo label ties also and they knot very well.

Ah yes, that they do. You're just a Ralph Lauren whore though
inlove.gif
. I was trying to point out that while yes the Polo and Purple ties are of superior quality and will tie great knots, others can be had that approach knot making abilities but for much less. I have some Altea ties that tie remarkably well and I got them for a pittance at Daffy's. I point this out because based on the OP's post, he would likely need something a little more budget minded. That's just my extrapolation though...
confused.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha, right about that i am a RL whore.

But i stick to what works for me, RL suits, jackets, pants, ties and shirts, Talbott socks, and moving into Inco pants when i can.

You can pick up RL polo ties for about $30-$50 at the end of the season.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you need to find out if wearing a jacket or suit is normal in your office - i wouldn't want to stand out in a bad way

Neil41487

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice!

I think I have some shopping to do
smile.gif

I plan on buying the shirts and pants and having the tailored so they dont look baggy or too tight too.

Neil41487

Reaction score
I should also mention this is an Engineering firm, so the fashion is usually low and conservative; as are our clients (mostly power plants).

In another few words, colors are rare.

-Neil P

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads