• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Attire in Hawaii

srh888

Reaction score
I am in the process of moving to Hawaii. Like many of you, I have spent a great deal of time and money putting together the perfect wardrobe for any situation. Unfortunately, a move to Hawaii wasn't one of the situations I anticipated. Looking well dressed is important to me and essential for the success of my business. I've been told that business attire consists of Aloha shirts and Khakis but I need further direction regarding styles, brands, fabrics, retailers, tailors, etc...

I appreciate the input.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srh888
I've been told that business attire consists of Aloha shirts and Khakis but I need further direction regarding styles, brands, fabrics, retailers, tailors, etc...

I doubt this is true. i'm sure the guys at leathersolehawaii.com could show you a thing or two

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think that statement of aloha shirts + khakis being business attire in Hawaii is incorrect.
I've often seen aloha shirts + dress pants.

srh888

Reaction score
I didn't believe it at first either, but, everything I can find online indicates that it is true.
Thanks for the tip.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Business attire in Honolulu is aloha shirt + dress pants. Dress shirt + dress pants works too but for the most part I'd say 75% of businessmen here wear aloha shirts everyday, 95% will wear aloha shirts at least once a week. Even the chairmans of the banks, top attorneys, and most successful people in finance wear aloha shirts + dress pants.

This is not to say a pair of Cleverleys would look out of place with aloha shirts + dress pants.
smile.gif

daruma

Reaction score
would you happen to have a good picture of a well fitting aloha shirt + dress pants?

Poindexter

Reaction score
srh, what these gentlemen have said is true, but there are qualifiers. The aloha shirt will not be some umbrellas and palms silkie from a souvenir shop, but a boutique aloha from Reyn Spooner, Tori Richards, li'dat. They are worn tucked, with nicer pants and accesories. It varies from venue to venue as well - court personnel dress as you might think.

You might want to wait until you hit Honolulu, have a look around, and shop where the shoppin' is best.

Aloha,

Poinz
Maui (ex Honolulu)

jungshoe

Reaction score
go hang around the fort street mall area in downtown honolulu and you'll see lawyers, bankers and ceos walking around in aloha shirts and black slacks. if you work at the shipyard, everyone wears jeans and a t-shirt.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Business attire in Honolulu is aloha shirt + dress pants. Dress shirt + dress pants works too but for the most part I'd say 75% of businessmen here wear aloha shirts everyday, 95% will wear aloha shirts at least once a week. Even the chairmans of the banks, top attorneys, and most successful people in finance wear aloha shirts + dress pants.

This is not to say a pair of Cleverleys would look out of place with aloha shirts + dress pants.
smile.gif

Exactly.

Khakis for us Hawaiians means any sort of tan dress pants. To some it probably means dress pants too.

Where to get the Hawaiian shirt.... Well, since all the stores in Ala Moana have become national chains..... No clue to be honest. Just stay away from the touristy looking ones. Buy what the locals wear.

You won't be wearing your suits much either. Unless your going to some seriously formal events.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads