• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burnished Blue Showdown

qdogg29

Reaction score
In one corner, weighing in at 189 dollars, the reigning king of hideousness: The Rullo Boot
41ASxJEhDiL._AA280_.jpg
In the other corner, the challenger, a hybrid of formalism and peacockism, tipping the scales at 115 dollars: The Ruzzo Oxford
41rtuVgD7mL._AA280_.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is like comparing apples to slightly lower-cut apples

qdogg29

Reaction score
Well, my Rullo boots came today and I am wondering if I should exchange them for the Oxfords. My wish is to find something that harks back to a bygone era yet be fashion forward. I know you guys would suggest neither. I have my black dress shoes to wear with suits and am looking for an informal alternative. I know it is in vogue to wear sneakers with suits, but I've barely begun to entertain that.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, its like choosing from brand X cyanide and brand Y cyanide...both kill.

qdogg29

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
wow, its like choosing from brand X cyanide and brand Y cyanide...both kill.

lol, well I suppose each cyanide has its merits and demerits with which it claims your life.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by qdogg29
Well, my Rullo boots came today and I am wondering if I should exchange them for the Oxfords. My wish is to find something that harks back to a bygone era yet be fashion forward. I know you guys would suggest neither. I have my black dress shoes to wear with suits and am looking for an informal alternative. I know it is in vogue to wear sneakers with suits, but I've barely begun to entertain that.

It really doesn't matter. The oxford is not better. It's not worth the trouble to return. Don't make Amazon upset by shipping the boots back, Jeff Bezos will open the box and his glass eye will do a 180 as he exclaims, "****, we aren't ever gonna get rid of these!!! God help me!"

qdogg29

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It really doesn't matter. The oxford is not better. It's not worth the trouble to return. Don't make Amazon upset by shipping the boots back, Jeff Bezos will open the box and his glass eye will do a 180 as he exclaims, "****, we aren't ever gonna get rid of these!!! God help me!"

I'm sure most SFers will concur with you, and if they be so slightly different - why wouldn't it be worth the hassle to return? I would be making about 60 bucks in the process. Jeff Bezos indignation will be tempered when he discover I exchange the item for something equally undesirable.

qdogg29

Reaction score
Here is the long awaited picture. I am on the verge of returning them. Whether I buy the Oxfords remains to be seen - I may match sneakers with such an attire. In all honesty, I feel kind of bad for the boots. For some reason, beyond my comprehension, I have always treated inanimate object as if they were sentient, more or less. Yes, I know they are not, but a part of me nonetheless imparts an aspect of the contrary. Thus, returning the shoes one could equate to returning a dog to a shelter where a needle is to determine its fate. Older possessions that which you have sentimental value are even harder to part with. The former may sound the very token of insanity, but knowing I had purchased these shoes, it is obvious you do not hold the constitution of my mind to a particularly high standard. This was partly the reason I chose something so over-the-top. I have a cheap pair of black Bostonian oxfords that I bought for about 50 bucks in November and wear nearly everyday. I have circumambulated Manhattan many a time in those shoes, and consequently your relationship with your shoes, above all else you don, is the most personal. There's a reason why Van Gogh chose to paint his shoes. And I feel if I purchase a more expensive pair of dark oxfords, before my Bostonian's demise, the new will unjustifiably supplant the old.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I will probably be the only one here to say this, but I think they look pretty cool on you. I wouldn't wear them with that shirt though. It looks like you're trying to match them and it's not working. I think they will be hard to wear with any blue shirt.

qdogg29

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
I will probably be the only one here to say this, but I think they look pretty cool on you. I wouldn't wear them with that shirt though. It looks like you're trying to match them and it's not working. I think they will be hard to wear with any blue shirt.
Thank you, yeah I had no intention of matching them with what I was wearing - I needed a photo in lieu of a full-length mirror (which does not exist in my house). I actually returned the boots today. Amazon has made the transaction (thus far) so effortless and cost-free that I feel obliged to give them my business in the future. They have a wide-assortment of shoes at low prices so it shouldn't be a problem. There's the outside possibility I'll go with the Blue Oxfords, which would have looked exactly the same in that picture.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Dude, just stop with these shoes. I mean, what are you seeing in them, exactly?

Did you ask the same question to yourself when purchasing those ostrich shoes?!
crazy.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads