• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burlington Coat Factory and Ugly Pinstripes

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found myself in Darkest New Jersey today and was taken to a Burlington Coat Factory. I noted that there were actually a few decent mid-range designer suits there with attractive cuts and fabrics, though they were few and far-between and required quite a bit of digging.

But what I primarily noticed was that approximately 70% of the suits they had discounted were ugly, multi-color pinstripes that myself or most men in business I know would never be caught dead in (note that I said "ugly" multi-color pinstipes, not multi-color pinstripes in general). I have also seen this kind of suit dominating Filene's Basement as well, so it make me wonder: Why do the suit manufacturers build so many suits of of these ugly fabrics when they know they have little chance to sell? I know that clothing manufactuerers make ugly garments all the time, but wouldn't it seem that they would figure out that this type of suit just isn't going to sell?

SuitGuy24

Reaction score
I will admit to getting a great suit from Burlington, a Polo 130s three-button navy pinstripe with side vents that was only $189. I will even go as far to say that it is one of my favorite suits and I get a lot of compliments on it, though I fear reprisal from some people here!
sly.gif
I have also noticed that they seem to have a lot of yucky multiocolor pinstripes, not to mention some seriously hideous tweed sportcoats!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugly clothing, subject for a future article that people would enjoy reading?

One theory is that makers are hoping to get lucky with an unusual design that becomes popular. ("Multicolor striped suits are a must-have item for this spring.") Often, however, copycats quickly will position themselves for a share of the market.

uslexus

Reaction score
More than likely the designers are just trying to catch on to a fad. For the most part I dont really think they made THAT many...its just that, very few if any sold at the department stores, so they all end up at Filenes and Burlington and it just appears there are more out there.

I even saw a Halston at filenes that I was appalled by...too bad, it was on sale...fit me perfect too
frown.gif
But just like you said...ugly multi-stripe.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Being new to this, and having been to burlington's quite a few times I have picked up a couple of good suits: A Carlo Palazzi (my best, fits me perfectly, charcoal with fine off-white stripes, 3-button, double-vent) @ under $200, a Zegna (my second best fit, navy, fine white stripes, 3-button, double-vent) @ $220 if I remember correctly.

You are right though, most of the time, you wouldn't even try on most of the rack in your size
eek.gif
(I litterally breeze by the 40R section only to occassionally stop at something that looks pleasing and hasn't got the ugly multi-colored stripes, then only to realize that most of them don't have vents or just don't fit well).

Just curious, which Burlington did you go to? The collections do differ at least at the 2 locations I have visited!

Has anyone tried Syms? I saw some nice HBs at $299, nice fit, very nice material, though I am no guru on whether these are from the 20th century seasons!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I found myself in Darkest New Jersey today and was taken to a Burlington Coat Factory. I noted that there were actually a few decent mid-range designer suits there with attractive cuts and fabrics, though they were few and far-between and required quite a bit of digging.

But what I primarily noticed was that approximately 70% of the suits they had discounted were ugly, multi-color pinstripes that myself or most men in business I know would never be caught dead in (note that I said "ugly" multi-color pinstipes, not multi-color pinstripes in general). I have also seen this kind of suit dominating Filene's Basement as well, so it make me wonder: Why do the suit manufacturers build so many suits of of these ugly fabrics when they know they have little chance to sell? I know that clothing manufactuerers make ugly garments all the time, but wouldn't it seem that they would figure out that this type of suit just isn't going to sell?

i always thought about this as well. it confuses me sometimes, you go to an outlet and you find a big brand name like borrelli, ferragamo, gucci, RL etc. and the clearance items of those are always extremely ugly. and with very bad materials too.
i know, alot of merchandise at the outlets were made for the outlets, but how come a name like gucci would make, or stamp their name, onto something that is so ugly. i mean, i understand they will use cheaper materials and construction for their outlet stuff, but does it require more strength, energy, and money to make the design similar to their popular selling items designs?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i always thought about this as well. it confuses me sometimes, you go to an outlet and you find a big brand name like borrelli, ferragamo, gucci, RL etc. and the clearance items of those are always extremely ugly. and with very bad materials too. i know, alot of merchandise at the outlets were made for the outlets, but how come a name like gucci would make, or stamp their name, onto something that is so ugly. i mean, i understand they will use cheaper materials and construction for their outlet stuff, but does it require more strength, energy, and money to make the design similar to their popular selling items designs?
Gucci does not make outlet-specific items. Why do those products end up at an outlet? Because they are ugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads