• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy vs Maroon - accurately describing leather goods

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello there SF Fam,

We need your help of accurately naming the color of our leather belts. Based on my own customer experience, I find it very difficult to get the right expectation when shopping for leather products in general, as the lighting makes all the difference. Our plan is to use both studio photos along with natural light photos in order to get a better understanding of the true color.

Quick intro of our belts:
- Vegetable tanned leather from the cow's shoulder, from cattle breeds
- made in Italy, leather tannery in Tuscany. Brass buckle, nickel free.

current color description:
- Tan
- Black
- Navy
- Brown
- Gray
- Burgundy

Please hit us up with your suggestions.

WSW

Reaction score
Burgundy is more commonly used, I think. I don't see maroon as the color descriptor often.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@WSW - agreed, yet we're starting to question if it's an accurate description. Leather goods are normally very hard to shoot and get an accurate color, which is part of the allure with quality leather goods, how the color shifts depending on the light. But you're right, better to adhere to the standard that's already set.

How about the "gray" one? That's the one we are most uncertain about. Enclosed below are a few shoots with reference shoes

leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-navy.jpg leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-gray.jpg leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-Navy-peal.jpg leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-brown.jpg leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-brown-cordovan.jpg leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-Burgundy.jpg leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-black.jpg leather-belt-made-in-italy-shoes-tan.jpg

WSW

Reaction score
@WSW - agreed, yet we're starting to question if it's an accurate description. Leather goods are normally very hard to shoot and get an accurate color, which is part of the allure with quality leather goods, how the color shifts depending on the light. But you're right, better to adhere to the standard that's already set.

How about the "gray" one? That's the one we are most uncertain about. Enclosed below are a few shoots with reference shoes

View attachment 1136863 View attachment 1136864 View attachment 1136865 View attachment 1136866 View attachment 1136867 View attachment 1136868 View attachment 1136869 View attachment 1136870

The wingtip in picture #3 looks gray to me. The belt looks more like a faded beige or a tan.

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I agree, that one is tricky, as one run the risk of venturing into semi-pretentious territory making the names too elaborate. "Desert Gray" might work, but we would be pushing it :)

Thanks @Aloysius16 - yet Taupe is just a bit too beige.

papado

Reaction score
I don't see that belt as grey at all based on the photography. I would say it would have to be something in the beige or ecru family for color names and you can describe the grey-er notes if needed in the description.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Yes, I wonder if this is one of those optical illusions, like the blue/black vs white/gold dress. I simply see no grey colour whatsoever in the belt in the images. It is hard to see taupe as too beige when the belt is nothing other than beige...

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First belt does not look gray at all to me not even taupe or loden its beige or even a pale tan (some even call that natural). Your burgundy is also too light for that name I'd say oxblood. Burgundy should be dark like a Merlot wine or darker. For the Tan I'd say British or Saddle Tan.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read that women have 4-5 times as many words in their active vocabulary to describe colors as men do. Through observation, I've come to believe that to be accurate (I was 30 before I really understood what taupe was). Maybe you could get some interesting responses on a woman's board.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What it looks like to me:
gray -> natural
tan -> cherry wood, or latte. It is darker than what I'd expect from tan. However, you have a redder bright belt in the burgundy (which I'd call rosewood?) and those who aren't familiar with woods may get confused. Auburn (the hair colour) is also close to the photo.
navy -> midnight blue. Maybe it is brighter IRL, but that is one dark navy that wouldn't take much black
burgundy -> rosewood (too bright for a true burgundy, IMHO)
brown -> burgundy

once a day

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@am55 , @pasadena man , @Genericuser1 , @papado , @Aloysius16 - all pointed answers!

I reckon our judgement is a bit skewed by the descriptions provided by our partner in Italy. But it's great that we're getting proper feedback, as in the end of the day the client perspective is the most important one. We're 4 in the company (2M vs 2F) yet none of us are native speakers so the feedback is great, we really like @am55 tips
Locked in:
Midnight Blue
Rosewood (otherwise we'll get all Burgundy heads up and arms (yours truly being one of them)).
Natural
Dark Brown (the brown ones are photographed next to cigar cordovans and brown Peal and co)

Tan -> how about antique maroon? I checked and that's what Trickers call the derbies (granted they spell it antique marron...)

Here's the invoice from our friends in Italy with the list name and Here's the first draft of the product site on our website. Will take some time to get a proper sizing chart in place.

Invoice.png

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note that in French and Italian marron/marrone refers to chestnut(s), and that is the etymology of maroon, which has since drifted (unjustifiably?) towards the burgundy (red) end of the spectrum.

If you need a wine colour there are so many interesting deep reds to pick from... I would go for Madiran but I have a weakness for lievre a la royale and South West cooking in general. Cotes du Rhone is friendlier in colour; Aussie shiraz or cabernet more violent.

For dark brown, you could retain that deep orange brown note with Marsala or one of the deeper sherries, perhaps PX. A few decades on a decent PX gives it a colour much like the black-brown patina which develops on a good pair of dark brown shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads