• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy vineyards

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last wednesday, we drove south of beaune and stopped by Meursault, Pommard, Puligny-Montrachet, etc, then made our way back to my aunt's in Montbard through Nuits-St-George, Vosne-RomanÃ
00a9.png
e, Chambolle-Musigny, Vougeot, Gevrey-Chambertin... The countryside is lovely, the villages tiny for such world-renowned vineyards. We stopped at random in several "Domaines" and "Chateaux" and tasted reds and whites, brought back 7 bottles to the US (although we declared those, we were not made to pay duty-go figure). During our first week in Paris, we had stuck to Bordeaux region wines and MÃ
00a9.png
docs, this second week in Burgundy was a revelation of sorts. I am even reconsidering my position on whites after drinking a Meursault we purchased that day.

We also visited my cousin who produces Bourgogne-Coulanges in the Auxerre region, and Chablis since we were close. The Coulanges wines are a little harsh for my taste, but their bouquet is full of fruit. My uncle is keeping a bottle of red for us, we'll see in 4 years how it turns out.

As for the gastronomy: irreproachable (snails in garlic butter, sauteed frogs' legs, jambon persillÃ
00a9.png
, coq au vin, gougères, etc). The various cheeses from that region start mild and unassuming, almost like plaster, but if you let them age, they will assail your fridge. I highly recommend the Époisses.

cuffthis

Reaction score
If you and your husband need help drinking those Burgundies, please call me.
biggrin.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you wait 8-10 years?
smile.gif
The only bottle ready for drinking now is a 2000 (alas.) Richebourg, but we are keeping that one for a special occasion.
tounge.gif

jekv12

Reaction score
Well, bringing back several bottles directly from the source is certainly a way to solve that problem you mentioned of bad or questionable bottles from your retailer...pity that you'd have to return every few weeks to keep building the cellar :)

I have a friend who was passionate about Burgundy, and I just didn't get it. Then I visited the region, stayed a few nights in Beaune and tasted a bit...yes, a revelation. I went to California a weekend early shortly after that trip to try to find "Burgundian" Pinot, at least in philosophy, since at the time finding good Burgundy in Pennsylvania was a dicey proposition...fortunately things have gotten better locally and now there are sources like Moore Brothers and Burgundy Wine Company in NY.

And Epoisses and a red Burgundy is a match made in heaven.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A trip every now and then would almost be worth my while if I decided to stick to the grands crus or premiers crus: the prices are quadrupled (or higher) in the US, from what I could tell. I'd have my plane ticket reimbursed in no time.

Walter

Reaction score
Can you wait 8-10 years? Â
smile.gif
The only bottle ready for drinking now is a 2000 (alas.) Richebourg, but we are keeping that one for a special occasion. Â
tounge.gif
Dont forget what they said in "sideways": the special occasion is when you drink it.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne,June 12 2005,16:58
Can you wait 8-10 years? Â
smile.gif
The only bottle ready for drinking now is a 2000 (alas.) Richebourg, but we are keeping that one for a special occasion. Â
tounge.gif

Dont forget what they said in "sideways": the special occasion is when you drink it.
No special occasion can compel me to open the 2002 Pommard Rugiens, 1er Cru (Rebourgeon Michel), nor the 2002 2002 Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru (domaine J.M. Naudin) until they are ready for me. Â Je sais me maitriser, moi, mossieur . Â
wink.gif

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Last wednesday, we drove south of beaune and stopped by Meursault, Pommard, Puligny-Montrachet, etc, then made our way back to my aunt's in Montbard through Nuits-St-George, Vosne-RomanÃ
00a9.png
e, Chambolle-Musigny, Vougeot, Gevrey-Chambertin...  The countryside is lovely, the villages tiny for such world-renowned vineyards.  We stopped at random in several "Domaines" and "Chateaux" and tasted reds and whites, brought back 7 bottles to the US (although we declared those, we were not made to pay duty-go figure).  During our first week in Paris, we had stuck to Bordeaux region wines and MÃ
00a9.png
docs, this second week in Burgundy was a revelation of sorts.  I am even reconsidering my position on whites after drinking a Meursault we purchased that day.

We also visited my cousin who produces Bourgogne-Coulanges in the Auxerre region, and Chablis since we were close.  The Coulanges wines are a little harsh for my taste, but their bouquet is full of fruit.  My uncle is keeping a bottle of red for us, we'll see in 4 years how it turns out.

As for the gastronomy: irreproachable (snails in garlic butter, sauteed frogs' legs, jambon persillÃ
00a9.png
, coq au vin, gougères, etc).  The various cheeses from that region start mild and unassuming, almost like plaster, but if you let them age, they will assail your fridge.  I highly recommend the Époisses.
On Wednesday I had a PBR in Ypsilanti.

It was a 2005, if memory serves.

tgfny

Reaction score
Party with Olivier Le Flaive in Puligny-Montrachet if at all possible. He's amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads