• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy Tux Jacket

leftwing37

Reaction score
First I am fair skin and light eyes with dirty blonde hair would this work? If so with what could I dress it down as well?

shilleck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For what occasion will you be using this? I'd stick to the classic tux if I were you.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really loved Ricky Gervais' tuxedo during the golden globes this year. It's a 3 piece burgundy Tuxedo, but it has black lapels, trousers stripe, buttons, correct vest, etc. Personally, I will probably have something like this made eventually:

208427-ricky-gervais.jpg

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
burgundy suits ricky - but not everyone.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
First I am fair skin and light eyes with dirty blonde hair would this work? If so with what could I dress it down as well?

The tuxedo should be worn for formal events only. You can't pair the jacket with jeans..

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The tuxedo should be worn for formal events only. You can't pair the jacket with jeans..

unless he want to buy designer brands tux-styled jacket and wear on street with jeans/pants.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sure you can. Ive seen it done on numerous occasions and it look good. fit it critical, even more so when wearing as separates

Last edited:

baronrojo

Reaction score
Unless you have a bubbly personality to match the burgundy jacket...I would just stick with black.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sure you can. Ive seen it done on numerous occasions and it look good. fit it critical, even more so when wearing as separates

Agreed. My boss gave me a navy blue velvet tux jacket for Christmas -- it looks ******* rad with jeans/dress pants.

Last edited:

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you would have to be bold and confident enough to wear a burgundy tux in public.

Oleg

Reaction score
Jeans and a velvet tux is well outside the scope of MC and firmly into SW and D territory. Probably best left to rock bands with their own jets, IMHO.

Fairly unconvinced by non-black dinner jackets, tbh. I saw the noted BBC current affairs presenter Jeremy Paxman at a dinner at my wife's old college in Oxford wearing a crushed velvet DJ with pale yellow, ruffed dress shirt and large, black, floppy, velvet bow tie. Unless you're currently living in 1975, it's a look I'd probably steer clear of.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but the origin of the modern dinner jacket is as a less formal alternative to the formal tail coat - in fact, it was originally a modified smoking jacket, certainly not black, and the idea was to break with the kind of rigid formality that had gone before. But now it has become its own rigid formality, which is ironic...

As several have remarked, its not SF MC standard, but if you read through the 'state of black tie' thread, you'll see plenty of indications that the standards of black tie are simply not as rigid any more as is being insisted on here. We can bemoan that if we like, but in that context, I can't see that it's a crime to wear a burgundy tuxedo. The question for me is whether it makes sense aesthetically, and I am afraid that both the picture linked above and Ricky Gervais's get up are verging on the criminal... I think in Gervais's case, it is the trousers, and in the case of that jacket above, the same collar collar and lapel. But whatever it is, neither says 'wear me'.

Last edited:

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really loved Ricky Gervais' tuxedo during the golden globes this year. It's a 3 piece burgundy Tuxedo, but it has black lapels, trousers stripe, buttons, correct vest, etc. Personally, I will probably have something like this made eventually:
208427-ricky-gervais.jpg

Ricky Gervais is a comedian, his job is to make people laugh...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads