• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy sport coat

Trompe L'Oeil

Reaction score
Hello folks. I recently acquired a YSL sport coat and tie from eBay (allegedly Made in France) that I rather liked. The sport coat and the tie both are burgundy-ish. I was wondering what such a jacket could be paired with.
%21B2f6r%21QEWk%7E$%28KGrHqF,%21hME%297-lk-ZOBMiyJz5LIw%7E%7E0_3.JPG
And it probably is too late at this point, but is this a good jacket? I mean less from a quality/construction perspective and more from a color/pattern/match-ability perspective. The description says that it is a classic single breasted two buttons and double vents in the back, and that it's heavier wool fall winter weight. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty neat. The gorge is fairly low in the photo, but I'm guessing it appears higher when looking at it straight on. I'd say khakis, gray slacks and jeans should all work well with that fabric. It's probably not the kind of thing you'll wear all the time, but when you do you'll be glad you have it. Enjoy!

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear the jacket with a navy tie white shirt and any color grey pants. I think you got lucky with the herringbone pattern and patch pockets. Burgundy is a very stand out color, but those two qualities make it more casual, and I think more wearable.

Trompe L'Oeil

Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen. That makes me feel much better. A couple of quick questions. Both of you recommended khakis. Wouldn't that make the outfit looks "too brown-ish"? Or is that not going to be a problem? Would you recommend sticking to lighter shades or along those lines? Also, what kind of shoes would you recommend? Something in oxblood to set off the burgundy, or just stick with brown? I know this isn't something I was looking for originally, but searching and browsing the forums has made me curious! Are YSL jackets okay from a quality perspective? I realize that they are probably not comparable to some of the higher end brands (i.e. Kiton, Borrelli etc), but I also realized that I really hadn't heard anything about how good/bad their tailoring and quality was.
!B2f6%29VgBGk~$%28KGrHqF,!jUE%29pfp,2VkBMiyKrpN,Q~~0_3.JPG
Mine looks like a vintage piece, but there isn't any additional information available other than what's in the pictures above. Thank you all again.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice coat. Burgundy blazers were popular in the 60s and into the 70s and other reddish blazers.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely!

I think that it would go well with blue and grey denim, and with grey slacks, as someone already pointed out. The white shirt is obviously OK, but also grey shirts, shirts with grey stripes, etc., could do. Also blue slacks, and blue shirts.

I actually have a summer linen coat in a similar colour, albeit in a lighter shade, and I find that it goes well with grey and blue items.

Did you get the tie as well? Must say that I like it.

Trompe L'Oeil

Reaction score
Thank you, guys.

Greger - I do remember seeing pictures of President Reagan wearing something similar. I do think that he had a penchant for colorful and interesting sport coats. And well, a lot of brown.

epa - Yes, I did get the tie as well. I probably overpaid for it (about $100 + shipping), but I really liked the jacket and figured it would be worth the price! I did not think this would go well with gray items - maybe I should give it a shot!

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brand is the tie? If the image is true to the original colors, it would go great with the summer jacket I mentioned. And maybe even with the kind of mauve tweed jacket I am wearing today.

Trompe L'Oeil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
What brand is the tie? If the image is true to the original colors, it would go great with the summer jacket I mentioned. And maybe even with the kind of mauve tweed jacket I am wearing today.
The tie is also YSL.
!B2f6zV!BWk~$%28KGrHqR,!iQE%29q92mvgGBMiyK-oPyg~~0_3.JPG
And the mauve tweed jacket sounds awesome - do you have a picture?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to put this but this jacket is kind of a big deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads