• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Burgundy Shell Cordovans

nycguy

Reaction score
Hey all,

What are your opinions on some (relatively) affordable shell cordovan styles that would go well with lightweight navy/charcoal suits? Keep in mind that I'm only 22 and I'm just starting my first job. I read that burgundy Norwegian bluchers are too casual for a suit so I'm trying to get some direction on what would be appropriate. Thanks in advance!

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtips are always a great choice and guaranteed never to go out of style. Fellow SF members turned me on to these, which I purchased. They aren't exeptionally 'affordable' off sale, but you may be able to find a pair on eBay. If not these C&Js, look for a solid wingtip.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Shell cordovan and lightweight suits (or the weather one wears them in) don't go together well.

The suggestion of wingtips is better.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Allen Edmonds makes the most affordable shell cordovan shoe. I'd keep my eyes glued to Ebay for those and Aldens.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nearly all Allen-Edmonds and Alden shell cordovan laceups are rather massive affairs, frequently with double soles. For this reason I would second the opinion they are not very compatible with lightweight suiting fabrics. If that is going to be your customary business attire, I think you would be better served with calfskins.

Spinnaker

Reaction score
Burgundy Norwegian bluchers would not be the worse fashion sin with even a light weight suit. The "cigar" color would be better. Alden makes a nice cordovan dressy loafer that would go nicely with the lighter weight suit. It does not have the double thick sole like most of the lace up cordovan models. Brooks Brothers also sells the same shoe, and they never go on sale except for $50 off twice a year. Since you can have them rebulilt alomost forever, think of the $500 plus cost as an investment. I have some that are over ten years old!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 248 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40