• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy Perforated Toe Shoes for Interviews?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of black J&M Melton captoes for use just for interviews (too ugly for anything else). Recently, I realized that the size "small" AE shoe trees I've been putting in them have stretched them to the point where I can't wear them anymore (they used to be 7D). I really don't want to spend $250 for a pair of AE Black Park Avenues just for interviews. I already have this pair of Alden Burgundy Perforated Toes:
905.jpg
Can I wear these for interviews with a charcoal suit? I'm be interviewing for entry level finance positions and I'm worried that these will look TOO nice.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jamesyu26
These are very low key. Go for it.
+1. May slightly make you stand out but this is a good thing. Most college kids only have black suits, shoes, etc. Boring

tgt465

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
I really don't want to spend $250 for a pair of AE Black Park Avenues just for interviews.

You're likely going to need that black captoe sooner or later, might as well get it now.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
You're likely going to need that black captoe sooner or later, might as well get it now.

+1.

Maybe someone in the finance field can weigh in, since different professions have different rules. But my rule of thumb is, if I have to ask myself if something is interview apprpriate, it's probably not and it's better to pass on it. Unimaginitive? Yes. Safe? Absolutely.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
Thanks for the constructive feedback.

laugh.gif

In honesty, I say get the black captoe. It is a can't go wrong for many situations. I wouldn't get the park ave though. I would probably try to get C&J on discount.

kasper007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
+1.

Maybe someone in the finance field can weigh in, since different professions have different rules. But my rule of thumb is, if I have to ask myself if something is interview apprpriate, it's probably not and it's better to pass on it. Unimaginitive? Yes. Safe? Absolutely.

I would think anything other than a black shoe is inappropriate for a finance interview. When i was in IB, very very few people wore brown shoes (not that it was a problem or anything) and wearing some would have stood out in an interview.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007
I would think anything other than a black shoe is inappropriate for a finance interview. When i was in IB, very very few people wore brown shoes (not that it was a problem or anything) and wearing some would have stood out in an interview.

I changed the picture I linked as it was linking to the Walnut one instead of the Burgundy one.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this whole "inappropriate" thing is silly.

The chance any interviewer takes more than a cursory glance at the man's shoes is essentially nil. And after he realizes the man is not wearing flip flops, it will not be given another thought.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been interviewing candidates for entry level positions at a management consulting firm. We keep an eye on the outfit to check if the candidate can be sent to a client without making the firm look bad. Finance is even more conservative when it comes to dressing and I would not be surprised if they also take this under consideration. So, you might get away with burgundy shoes, but some might also say that you did not really show "the full effort to get the job" because you missed the well-known industry dress standards.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
but some might also say that you did not really show "the full effort to get the job" because you missed the well-known industry dress standards.

Would a $500 pair of shoes in a classic old man color be below standards? Is it truly black or GTFO in management consulting? I'm pretty sure my stepfather is reasonably high level in that field and he wears brown shoes that would make anyone here cringe to look at.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads