Burgundy colored tie with navy suit or?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ryant601, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ryant601

ryant601 Member

Hi guys,

I've got an interview tomorrow at big accounting firm-one much more formal than the one I'm currently at. My main question is what color/pattern ties would be appropriate to wear with a dark navy suit? I was thinking burgundy of some sort, just wanted to get some other opinions. I've got a dark green one that I do like, just not sure if it's too bland. My understanding is that black shoes would be a safer bet than brown for such an occasion? I focused alot more on the fit of the suit than anything else as you can guess-most of my 23 year old peers neglect that part.

Thanks!

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

No one's going to notice or care, but my personal taste says that the burgundy tie will look good.

3. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

I agree with burgundy as long as it is truly burgundy and not red. Plenty of people get away with red, but some people consider it too much of a "power color" for a 23 year old interviewie. Don't overthink it though. As for worrying about being bland...bland is good. You can't get a job with your interview clothes, but you could lose one if you really screw it up. You don't sound like you're going to really screw it up though.

4. ryant601

ryant601 Member

I overthink everything, as you might have guessed by now. [​IMG]

That's what I'm thinking.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That's a great choice. Stick with it.

6. steveabdn

steveabdn Senior member

At least one person cares, the OP

What colour of shirt are you planning to wear? Obviously if it's black shoes it's a black belt etc - are you thinking light blue shirt / white shirt?

My money would go on burgundy as well, as soon as I hear green it just conjures all kinds of horrible colours, on the other hand burgundy is a lovely colour!

Go with the burgundy, feel comfortable and good luck with the interview

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

There are lots of great green ties. But yeah, burgundy is perfect. And with burgundy, white shirt or blue doesn't matter.

8. ryant601

ryant601 Member

It's a very dark green, but I've got plenty of votes for the burgundy so I'm not going to bother. Thanks for your good wishes. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

9. steveabdn

steveabdn Senior member

You're right there are lots of good ones but equally lots of bad ones, I'm struggling to think of a bad burgundy tie!!

My apologies, I didn't mean to suggest the OP needs to pick either colour of shirt, I was suggesting either colour would be suitable

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

yeah you're good. White shirt, navy suit, black shoes and belt and that tie, plus NO pocketsquare. Good luck

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

White would be best, imo.

12. OxxfordSJLINY

OxxfordSJLINY Senior member

Coram, New York, United States of America, 11767

Actually, for blondes, light blue is better. White makes blondes look like q tips.

For redheads, light peach is better. Light blue makes redheads look pale, sickly and tired. White makes redheads look pale, sickly, tired and washed out.

For everybody else, yes, white is better, but light blue works, too. Light peach only looks good on redheads. On everybody else, light peach (depending on skin tone) looks washed out or sticks out like a sore thumb.

13. heolngvang

heolngvang New Member

I also want to sai that I didn't mean to suggest the OP needs to pick either colour of shirt, I was suggesting either colour would be suitable
    [​IMG]