• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burgundy Belts (& Shoes)

tcmquincy

Reaction score
How would y'all build an outfit around a burgundy belt? What would you wear with it? And would you only wear it with burgundy shoes, or could it work with various shades of brown?

Maroon/burgundy is my school color and I'm considering pulling the trigger on a maroon belt and pair of shoes from Meermin, thanks!

edit: fit pics appreciated and encouraged, cheers!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't build an outfit specifically around a burgundy belt, but I regularly wear burgundy belts with my burgundy and #8 shoes. Burgundy falls in the brown realm, so it's ok to wear it with browns, though most would argue to keep it closer. For harder to match colors, such as navy suede or green shell, I will match the welt color with my belt.
Another thing to consider is where you want your focus to be; typically not your waist. So, I would tend to wear darker pants with a darker (burgundy) belt rather than something like a cream linen.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't build an outfit specifically around a burgundy belt

Thats a good point, I may have worded that poorly. I'm mostly just wondering what I should wear with one, as I've never owned or worn a burgundy belt. Can I ask what "#8" means referring to the shoes? Thanks for the reply!

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point, I may have worded that poorly. I'm mostly just wondering what I should wear with one, as I've never owned or worn a burgundy belt.

I have burgundy boots and I generally wear them with a dark drown belt. Sometimes with a brown belt that has some red in it (but clearly not burgundy). I think that matching a more unique color between the shoes and belt looks more affected than if you are matching something like two dark browns. If the belt we casual enough, I'd probably be more likely to wear a burgundy belt with a blue or a white sneaker and jeans than with anything else.

Can I ask what "#8" means referring to the shoes? Thanks for the reply!

When Horween finishes their shell cordovan, they apply a number of coats of color to the shell. The greater the number of coats, the darker the color. Eight coats results in a burgundy color. They refer to it as #8. This is an example: https://ashlandleather.com/collections/johnny-the-fox/products/100-color-8-shell-cordovan

Relatedly, Alden is famous for their use of #8, but they apply an additional color coat to the shell that further alters the color. I'm not a fan, but popular opinion is Alden's #8 is great.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
<snip>

When Horween finishes their shell cordovan, they apply a number of coats of color to the shell. The greater the number of coats, the darker the color. Eight coats results in a burgundy color. They refer to it as #8. This is an example: https://ashlandleather.com/collections/johnny-the-fox/products/100-color-8-shell-cordovan

Relatedly, Alden is famous for their use of #8, but they apply an additional color coat to the shell that further alters the color. I'm not a fan, but popular opinion is Alden's #8 is great.

Really interesting. Its not a leather we work with but we're asked about belts to match it a lot (Sedgwick Burgundy..). I ddnt know Alden #8 was different than Horween #8. Very informative

Charlie

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Really interesting. Its not a leather we work with but we're asked about belts to match it a lot (Sedgwick Burgundy..). I ddnt know Alden #8 was different than Horween #8. Very informative

Charlie

Alden's no 8 has a unique purple undertone that you don't find elsewhere. I am also not a fan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads