• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Burgundy Belts (& Shoes)

tcmquincy

Reaction score
How would y'all build an outfit around a burgundy belt? What would you wear with it? And would you only wear it with burgundy shoes, or could it work with various shades of brown?

Maroon/burgundy is my school color and I'm considering pulling the trigger on a maroon belt and pair of shoes from Meermin, thanks!

edit: fit pics appreciated and encouraged, cheers!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't build an outfit specifically around a burgundy belt, but I regularly wear burgundy belts with my burgundy and #8 shoes. Burgundy falls in the brown realm, so it's ok to wear it with browns, though most would argue to keep it closer. For harder to match colors, such as navy suede or green shell, I will match the welt color with my belt.
Another thing to consider is where you want your focus to be; typically not your waist. So, I would tend to wear darker pants with a darker (burgundy) belt rather than something like a cream linen.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point, I may have worded that poorly. I'm mostly just wondering what I should wear with one, as I've never owned or worn a burgundy belt.
I have burgundy boots and I generally wear them with a dark drown belt. Sometimes with a brown belt that has some red in it (but clearly not burgundy). I think that matching a more unique color between the shoes and belt looks more affected than if you are matching something like two dark browns. If the belt we casual enough, I'd probably be more likely to wear a burgundy belt with a blue or a white sneaker and jeans than with anything else.

Can I ask what "#8" means referring to the shoes? Thanks for the reply!
When Horween finishes their shell cordovan, they apply a number of coats of color to the shell. The greater the number of coats, the darker the color. Eight coats results in a burgundy color. They refer to it as #8. This is an example: https://ashlandleather.com/collections/johnny-the-fox/products/100-color-8-shell-cordovan

Relatedly, Alden is famous for their use of #8, but they apply an additional color coat to the shell that further alters the color. I'm not a fan, but popular opinion is Alden's #8 is great.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
<snip>

When Horween finishes their shell cordovan, they apply a number of coats of color to the shell. The greater the number of coats, the darker the color. Eight coats results in a burgundy color. They refer to it as #8. This is an example: https://ashlandleather.com/collections/johnny-the-fox/products/100-color-8-shell-cordovan

Relatedly, Alden is famous for their use of #8, but they apply an additional color coat to the shell that further alters the color. I'm not a fan, but popular opinion is Alden's #8 is great.
Really interesting. Its not a leather we work with but we're asked about belts to match it a lot (Sedgwick Burgundy..). I ddnt know Alden #8 was different than Horween #8. Very informative

Charlie

Teger

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Really interesting. Its not a leather we work with but we're asked about belts to match it a lot (Sedgwick Burgundy..). I ddnt know Alden #8 was different than Horween #8. Very informative

Charlie
Alden's no 8 has a unique purple undertone that you don't find elsewhere. I am also not a fan.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 56 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 35 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%