• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burberry's headed to the heartland

mr_economy

Reaction score
I'm guessing the author of that article has never visited Johnson County here in Kansas. Dollar for dollar, it is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation - that combined with the laughably low cost of living makes for one hell of a spending market. Even here in Lawrence, about 30 miles away from Johnson County, you see practically every suburban housewife with Louis Vuitton, Coach, Gucci, etc.

Bring on the Burberry!

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr_economy
I'm guessing the author of that article has never visited Johnson County here in Kansas. Dollar for dollar, it is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation - that combined with the laughably low cost of living makes for one hell of a spending market. Even here in Lawrence, about 30 miles away from Johnson County, you see practically every suburban housewife with Louis Vuitton, Coach, Gucci, etc.

Bring on the Burberry!

Next stop, The Plaza

StevenRocks

Reaction score
The Burberry store at SouthPark in Charlotte, N.C. does well, but it's in an very affluent suburban area in an upscale mall that attracts shoppers from up to 200 miles away (like me).

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some parts of Tulsa and Oklahoma City positively reek of oil money. I think Burberry will do very well in "flyover country", as we're not-so-affectionately called.

Of course, I'm not pleased to learn this, since I'm planning to buy a Burberry trenchcoat before I return from San Diego (I just returned from the Burberry store, as a matter of fact). Now it will become a status symbol, instead of just a great coat and everyone will want one.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
The Burberry store at SouthPark in Charlotte, N.C. does well, but it's in an very affluent suburban area in an upscale mall that attracts shoppers from up to 200 miles away (like me).

I was just there last week from several hundred miles away. One salesman there was off the chains pushy.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
bring it on
redneck.jpg

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Midwest takes a lot of **** for being poorly dressed- undeservedly I think. The average guy in St. Louis, Columbus, or Tulsa is no worse dressed than the average guy you see in the NYC Metro. At the very top of the spectrum NY and Cali outshine the Midwest, true, but that's mainly because there is a lot more money concentrated in those areas, so high-end retailers can set up shop.

Look around yourselves next time you're on the subway and take note of the good people traveling to the boroughs. They're as sloppy a bunch as any- they really are. These are the people with comparable incomes to the average Midwesterner, not the folks walking around the upper east side. Compare apples to apples. People arent too anxious to rip on the Mexican kid wearing the oversided white t-shirt, because he probably doesnt have a lot of money. Well, neither does the guy in the nascar shirt.

Acidicboy found funny pictures to make fun of poor people on here and AAAC. Have a grudge against those backwards midwesterners? Did they chase you out of town when you came out of the closet?

Anyway... Burberry's move to the Midwest seems pretty smart to me. Except for a few items, their merchandise is crap. They need to pawn their wares off on people with some money who lack any real taste. This is why it's so smart to get to the Midwest. Big earners' tastes on the coasts are much more refined than their Midwestern counterparts. Midwesterners are going to put on that plaid and think theyve made it in the world, living large. Every doctor and laywer's wife is going to think she has to flash some Burberry around when the store opens in town. I just really like this move by Burberry...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

Acidicboy found funny pictures to make fun of poor people on here and AAAC. Have a grudge against those backwards midwesterners? Did they chase you out of town when you came out of the closet?

well, trying to put some humor on the topic, i am glad that you found these funny.

and no, i certainly do not have grudges against any demographic group, including gays which i happen to think some people have.

BDCook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks

I am very underwhelmed by SouthPark. Hopefully Neiman will make it a bit more interesting though.

Stax

Reaction score
take a bible.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
At the very top of the spectrum NY and Cali outshine the Midwest, true, but that's mainly because there is a lot more money concentrated in those areas, so high-end retailers can set up shop.

Big earners' tastes on the coasts are much more refined than their Midwestern counterparts.

Chicago has a few high-end retailers and a couple of well dressed people, to boot.
wink.gif

alflauren

Reaction score
Distance is not a barrier for the affluent midwesterner. I'm guessing a lot of the potential buyers already have some Burberry in their closet.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDCook
I am very underwhelmed by SouthPark. Hopefully Neiman will make it a bit more interesting though.
Neiman will. But it's a great mall still. There's not a lot of menswear at SouthPark, but you'll find that tends to be the case at most shopping areas. And you gotta admit there's nothing like it anywhere betweeen Washington and Atlanta.

You have to factor in Phillips Place, Morrocroft and Specialty Shops as well. Paul Simon Co., Taylor Richards & Conger and Old Dog kick the fashion quotient up a notch, as wel as that other Trad-looking place in the Allen Tate building. Forgot the name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads