• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burberrys' coats (agents for older A&F)

RussianRoulette

Reaction score
I'm debating investing into a decent overcoat. I own a few Prorsum blazers but am not very knowledgeable on older the older "Burberrys' " line, especially in relation to this particular coat.

Here it is:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/6/8/0/4/0/webimg/550400795_tp.jpg

And the tag.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/6/8/0/4/0/webimg/550400730_o.jpg

Any thoughts as to what I can expect in quality? The fit looks like it should be fine based on my measurements...just a matter of someone speaking on the quality.

Thanks for any insight..

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks great quality, and I've heard the older stuff is, although I don't own any.

N. B., there's no possessive apostrophe after Burberrys - that would be grammatical nonsense.

RussianRoulette

Reaction score
hmmmm....

If anyone here has owned the older stuff please feel free to drop a line!

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks great quality, and I've heard the older stuff is, although I don't own any.
N. B., there's no possessive apostrophe after Burberrys - that would be grammatical nonsense.

uhhh yes, there is. It means belonging to the Burberrys.

RussianRoulette

Reaction score
ok..any constructive comments guys? All I need is one person to speak on the quality of the older burberrys line...

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

uhhh yes, there is. It means belonging to the Burberrys.

Sorry to necrobump this just to piss on you:

The name of the brand is " Burberry ";
the possessive form is therefore, obviously, " Burberry's ";
even if the original name were " Burberrys ", the possessive form would be " Burberrys's ";
I've never seen a brand that uses the plural + the possessive in its branding.

The reason the tag above reads 'Burberrys' is, I think, because apostrophes couldn't be trademarked in those days.

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically the older Burberry's label was when Burberry was essentially under a single line. The quality varies: the older stuff was very high quality, but there was a slight decline in the mid 1990's until they became revitalized again under new creative leadership over the last decade (since 2001) and split into the current Burberry Brit, London, Prorsum, Sport, and Japanese Black/Blue label lines.

Basically that Burberry's jacket is pre-2000 since they dropped the "s" in 1999. Most of the stuff was good quality, probably on par with current London line. One thing to keep in mind with the older Burberry's merchandise though is that they weren't particularly fashion forward so the cuts tended to be baggy and more traditional.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Typically the older Burberry's label was when Burberry was essentially under a single line. The quality varies: the older stuff was very high quality, but there was a slight decline in the mid 1990's until they became revitalized again under new creative leadership over the last decade (since 2001) and split into the current Burberry Brit, London, Prorsum, Sport, and Japanese Black/Blue label lines.
Basically that Burberry's jacket is pre-2000 since they dropped the "s" in 1999. Most of the stuff was good quality, probably on par with current London line. One thing to keep in mind with the older Burberry's merchandise though is that they weren't particularly fashion forward so the cuts tended to be baggy and more traditional.

What I like about pre-2000s Burberry, is that the wretched Nova-check wasn't in your face all the time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads