• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burberry Wax Jacket sleeves too short - how much of an issue?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Got myself a stunning blue wax jacket from Burberry on second hand, it arrived today by mail. The condition is excellent so at £39.99 I couldn't resist it. However, the sleeve length turned out to be shorter than expected (my mistake, seller not to blame). I would like an extra inch or so, 2-3 cm. Please see attached photo where you can see my left hand in relation to the jacket sleeve. When moving my arms a bit the sleeves would be out of position and look even shorter by a centimeter or so.

On a jacket like this, what do you think of the sleeve length, style-wise? Would you keep the jacket or sell it to someone with slightly shorter arms? Currently I'm a bit uncomfortable with this sleeve length, but I really love the jacket so much in all other aspects so it would be painful to get rid of it. Maybe I could get used to the length. For a sport coat it wouldn't be too bad, right?
blush.gif

Thank you for your advice.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I did guess that the sleeves were made extra short for a good reason. Not used to such short sleeves at all, but I'll give the jacket a chance for at least a few days before deciding.

Thanks again for you opinions.

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
You can try to get extended. Sometimes the lining is attached to extra fabric from the cloth in the interior of the coat's cuff. The sleeves really arent exceptionally short. You see your arm holding the camera, well the sleeve isn't going past your wrist bone. If it was really that short it would go past that section into the radius.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fear that you have a choice: Cold/wet vaguely stupid looking arms or selling it.

drift3r

Reaction score
The Barbours also run pretty short in the arm, and they're pretty much the gold standard for waxed coats. I think it looks fine, and I've actually seen shorter.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear gloves with it and enjoy.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call Barbour and have them tell you where to send it to get them lengthened. I know that they offer this service in the US.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
As far as I can tell there is no extra fabric available in the cuff to extend them, at least not any waxed fabric. Lengthening the sleeves with waxed fabric doesn't seem reasonable, is this really possible to do? Sounds like an expensive thing to do?

I got another crazy idea: find some corduroy fabric that matches the collar and use this to create corduroy cuffs. After all it's not a Barbour, it's a Burberry, so I wouldn't mind the jacket having its own unique expression. But I doubt it's worth the time to find the right corduroy and then pay to have the sleeves lengthened.

In fact I did lengthen a pair of corduroy pants once. This was long before my SF membership, many years ago. Those pants look truly ridiculous, wore them twice or so. They are still around in my closet so I might post a photo later today just to give you a laugh.
smile.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
As far as I can tell there is no extra fabric available in the cuff to extend them, at least not any waxed fabric. Lengthening the sleeves with waxed fabric doesn't seem reasonable, is this really possible to do? Sounds like an expensive thing to do? I got another crazy idea: find some corduroy fabric that matches the collar and use this to create corduroy cuffs. After all it's not a Barbour, it's a Burberry, so I wouldn't mind the jacket having its own unique expression. But I doubt it's worth the time to find the right corduroy and then pay to have the sleeves lengthened. In fact I did lengthen a pair of corduroy pants once. This was long before my SF membership, many years ago. Those pants look truly ridiculous, wore them twice or so. They are still around in my closet so I might post a photo later today just to give you a laugh.
smile.gif

Edit: I read the OP as Barbour, not Burberry. Ignore below: You can send it back to Barbour to be lengthened. They add a piece of the same fabric on to it. I have had it done many times and they do a very god job. The only problem is that it may take a couple of months before they do the repair and send it back to you. And you have to pay for it.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hst
Looks fine to me too.

No, it is way too short.
A coat needs to cover your jacket and shirt by a good inch.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
As far as I can tell there is no extra fabric available in the cuff to extend them, at least not any waxed fabric. Lengthening the sleeves with waxed fabric doesn't seem reasonable, is this really possible to do? Sounds like an expensive thing to do?

I got another crazy idea: find some corduroy fabric that matches the collar and use this to create corduroy cuffs. After all it's not a Barbour, it's a Burberry, so I wouldn't mind the jacket having its own unique expression. But I doubt it's worth the time to find the right corduroy and then pay to have the sleeves lengthened.

In fact I did lengthen a pair of corduroy pants once. This was long before my SF membership, many years ago. Those pants look truly ridiculous, wore them twice or so. They are still around in my closet so I might post a photo later today just to give you a laugh.
smile.gif

Ah, it would be better if I could read. A leather cuff might work too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads