• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burberry Trenchcoat Won't Stay Waterproof?

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
I purchased a used Burberry Prorsum trenchcoat on ebay last year, but I'm having trouble with one thing: making it waterproof. The coat has been dry-cleaned once, by the Burberry store, and waterproofed at my local dry-cleaners, but it still soaks up rain and water and lets it through the lining onto whatever I happen to be wearing underneath. Does anyone have any suggestions about whether or not I can salvage my investment? Thanks!

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Waffles
I purchased a used Burberry Prorsum trenchcoat on ebay last year, but I'm having trouble with one thing: making it waterproof. The coat has been dry-cleaned once, by the Burberry store, and waterproofed at my local dry-cleaners, but it still soaks up rain and water and lets it through the lining onto whatever I happen to be wearing underneath. Does anyone have any suggestions about whether or not I can salvage my investment? Thanks!

Get one of these.

men-north-face-jacket-3%20(1).jpg

Cotton can only get so waterproof, it's not the correct material.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Buy an umbrella.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay out of the rain!

Who goes in the rain anyway?
crazy.gif

Peasants.
sarcasm.gif

Artking3

Reaction score
Trenchcoats are water-resistant, not water-proof. They are good for light showers, but not for heavy downpours. They should also be supplemented with umbrellas.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artking3
Trenchcoats are water-resistant, not water-proof. They are good for light showers, but not for heavy downpours. They should also be supplemented with umbrellas.

+1 This.

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
Cotton can only get so waterproof, it's not the correct material.
Wrong, my Barbour kept my dry after several hours of downpour.

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
I agree that one should use an umbrella because trenchcoats are designed to be water-resistant, not water-proof, but that's the problem--it's not even water resistant. Even a little drizzle that would otherwise not require an umbrella soaks straight through the coat onto me, and since that is what I'm trying to avoid by wearing the coat, I'm just trying to find something that can return it to its water-resistant state.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will those water protection sprays for suedes work?

Artking3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Waffles
I agree that one should use an umbrella because trenchcoats are designed to be water-resistant, not water-proof, but that's the problem--it's not even water resistant. Even a little drizzle that would otherwise not require an umbrella soaks straight through the coat onto me, and since that is what I'm trying to avoid by wearing the coat, I'm just trying to find something that can return it to its water-resistant state.

Since you got it used, I wonder if the previous owner had it altered in any way. It would ruin the waterproofing at the seams and result in leaks.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Last year, I bought an Aquascutum raincoat on eBay, used, supposedly waterproof.

Then I wore it under a heavy rain, during five (5) minutes.

Four hours later, the coat was still wet, outside and inside.

Conclusion: I'm now avoiding raincoats, trenchcoats, Inspector Gadget coats, etc., on eBay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads