• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burberry Trench

kpizz

Reaction score
Does anyone know how burberry trench coats fit. I was hoping to get a trench coat i could wear with a suit but would like one that is not overly baggy. My suits are all tailored and the last thing I would like to do is look like a rectangle.

Thanks in advance for your posts.

alastiar

Reaction score
wats the size of ur suit? if 38 i would say Small Burberry coat, Medium for 40 and so on

Matt S

Reaction score
If slim is what you want a trench coat probably isn't for you. The trench coat is meant to be loose fitting and tightened around the waist with a belt. Though because there is a belt to tighten they won't have a rectangular appearance. A single-breasted rain coat is usually without a belt and has a straight cut, but there might be some that are more fitted. Try Aquascutum.

GBer

Reaction score
There are various models, but the ones I am familiar with are not slim, though I would not say baggy. Try the belted trenches if you are looking for something you can adjust.

I've heard many suggestions such as one size bigger than your suit size. But I suggest you go to a store and try it on with a suit. Depending on the model, the fit can be different. I consider them one of the best business rain gear.

MinnMD

Reaction score
Went through the same issue a couple of years ago. Basically, you have to go to a store and try these on. I ended up with smaller size and slightly different style than I was initially looking for and have been satisfied with the decisions.

MinnMD

MinnMD

Reaction score
Another option to consider. When my Burberry wears out, I'm planning to replace it with a bespoke wool topcoat, probably with an extra layer over the shoulders.

MinnMD

Jaxson612

Reaction score
I bought the same size as I wear for my suits, and it's pretty slim fitting.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MinnMD
Another option to consider. When my Burberry wears out, I'm planning to replace it with a bespoke wool topcoat, probably with an extra layer over the shoulders.

MinnMD

wool overcoat to replace a trench?
eh.gif

kpizz

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. My suit jacket size is a 40R and my sleeve length on my shirts are 25.5. It looks like from the consensus that I should really just go try one on.

thanks everyone and if you see a trench that you think I may be interested in please let me know.

alastiar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
wool overcoat to replace a trench?
eh.gif

yah the kind u just place it on ur shoulder and let it hang. very classy !

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
I have a Burberry Trench (a light one, not a thick one for the winter) and its very loose but at the same time can be form fitting if worn with a suit. Best part is that it doesn't look baggy if I wear it as a jacket when it rains.

My suggestion is to get a light Burberry trench, and not the normal thicker material trenches. Not sure if they carry the lighter weight trenches in stores now, but maybe check out the outlets because they usually have the off-season stuff in there.

theEnd

Reaction score
I just wore my new Burberry trench for the first time yesterday. Its the classic trench (Trench 19) with a removable wool warmer lining. For suits/jackets I'm a 38 or 39 in most brands, but since the classic trenchcoat is quite roomy I had to size down to a 36. Fits well.

Note that the classic Burberry trench coats are definitely not closely fitted in any way. It fits fine on the shoulders (and has wonderful raglan sleeves), and you can control the waist suppression by how tightly you knot/buckle the belt, but below the belt its slightly flared. Its not a modern look at all.

If you want something more fitted, consider the Burberry Porsum trenches. I had tried one of those as well, and it definitely emphasizes your body shape very well. I didn't pick it cuz it was about $600 more than the classic trench (which is already expensive at $1700), and it just wasn't as timeless as the classic trench. The difference between the two is like comparing an Isaia suit to a Oxxford suit.

was385

Reaction score
slightly off topic here, but I would appreciate if anyone could help me. Picked up a burberrys overcoat recently from a thrift store with "dfr" written below the logo on the tag. Does anyone know what this means?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife a MTM Burberry trench a few years ago. Go that route, and you can get it however you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads