• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Burberry Suit buy or pass?

maxalex

Reaction score
This is a good deal for a suit made in Italy by (I believe) Hickey-Freeman—but only if you can return it as you can’t try it on. Assume you will need some tailoring, even if it fits. At the very least you will need to hem the trousers.

Kevin24

Reaction score
The quality is fine considering Burberry suits are half-canvassed with good fabrics. Still consider it carefully since for nearly 1,000 there are better deals to be had. Ex. Suit Supply or Joseph Abboud where you could get two suits of the same quality and fit for the same price. Or if you only need one you could do even better for 990 and get a fully canvassed Samuelsohn at Saks Fifth Ave.

Don't limit yourself to overpaying for something just because it's a designer make.

maxalex

Reaction score
The quality is fine considering Burberry suits are half-canvassed with good fabrics. Still consider it carefully since for nearly 1,000 there are better deals to be had. Ex. Suit Supply or Joseph Abboud where you could get two suits of the same quality and fit for the same price. Or if you only need one you could do even better for 990 and get a fully canvassed Samuelsohn at Saks Fifth Ave.

Don't limit yourself to overpaying for something just because it's a designer make.
I would not compare the Burberry to Suit Supply or Abboud, they are miles apart. I agree about the folly of chasing brands (although Burberry trades more in its outerwear brand than suits), but the Burberry at half price brings it down to reality and makes it a viable competitor—if it fits, and you like the cut, etc.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I would not compare the Burberry to Suit Supply or Abboud, they are miles apart. I agree about the folly of chasing brands (although Burberry trades more in its outerwear brand than suits), but the Burberry at half price brings it down to reality and makes it a viable competitor—if it fits, and you like the cut, etc.
Other then the name how is Burberry better then SS or JB?

Although I agree on the fit and cut part.

maxalex

Reaction score
Other then the name how is Burberry better then SS or JB?

Although I agree on the fit and cut part.
Burberry are made by Hickey-Freeman (I believe even the Italian-made suits) to relatively high standards of craftsmanship. Suit Supply are fused and mass produced in Asia. Some of the pricier Abboud lines are canvassed but most are fused and the cheapest ones are made in Asia, not Massachusetts. Fusing has certainly improved since the days of blistered lapels, but it will never last as long as a canvassed jacket, nor will it drape as gracefully.

Here I should add that I am not opposed to Asian-made clothing as a concept (and I'm not even talking about Japan). I have been to many factories in China, met with workers and owners (although in the electronics realm, not clothing) and I respect and admire their work standards and efficiency. But the mass production of tailored clothing to reach certain price points inevitably means compromises. Like a freshly painted house, these garments will look great at first (one hopes), but the real test is over time. A better made suit with canvassing will last longer and look better with wear, assuming good care.

I'm not saying Burberry suits are great, and at full price of $2k you are definitely paying a stupid tax for the brand. For another $1k you can find tailors who will make you a fully bespoke, handmade canvassed suit using Brit fabrics which in my opinion are better than the Italian suiting used by most of the mass-produced brands. But on sale at $1k, I believe Burberry is good value.

Proleet

Reaction score
Burberry are made by Hickey-Freeman (I believe even the Italian-made suits) to relatively high standards of craftsmanship. Suit Supply are fused and mass produced in Asia. Some of the pricier Abboud lines are canvassed but most are fused and the cheapest ones are made in Asia, not Massachusetts. Fusing has certainly improved since the days of blistered lapels, but it will never last as long as a canvassed jacket, nor will it drape as gracefully.

Here I should add that I am not opposed to Asian-made clothing as a concept (and I'm not even talking about Japan). I have been to many factories in China, met with workers and owners (although in the electronics realm, not clothing) and I respect and admire their work standards and efficiency. But the mass production of tailored clothing to reach certain price points inevitably means compromises. Like a freshly painted house, these garments will look great at first (one hopes), but the real test is over time. A better made suit with canvassing will last longer and look better with wear, assuming good care.

I'm not saying Burberry suits are great, and at full price of $2k you are definitely paying a stupid tax for the brand. For another $1k you can find tailors who will make you a fully bespoke, handmade canvassed suit using Brit fabrics which in my opinion are better than the Italian suiting used by most of the mass-produced brands. But on sale at $1k, I believe Burberry is good value.
Suitsupply are half or full canvas (mtm and the more expensive lines)? None of their suits are fused...but feel free to just make assumptions and push out strong opinions...

maxalex

Reaction score
Half canvassed are mostly fused. The canvassing is a small chest piece, the rest including the lapel is fused, and the chest piece is pressed firmly against the fused parts. The Burberry is likewise half canvassed and thus mostly fused but I believe the workmanship of Hickey-Freeman is generally better in other areas, such as blind stitching, buttonholes and overall QC.

maxalex

Reaction score
Suitsupply are half or full canvas (mtm and the more expensive lines)? None of their suits are fused...but feel free to just make assumptions and push out strong opinions...
I will stand corrected on Suit Supply canvassing (at least their higher end lines) but I can't cop to strong opinions. I don't feel strongly about any of these suits, other than my strong opinion that buying by brand is not a good idea. Suit Supply and Abboud have stores all over so one can readily try on the various lines, which I recommend.

Kevin24

Reaction score
I did not like the fit of the Burberry so I just decided to upgrade fully and went with Zegna, extremely happy with the suit.

https://www.zegna.us/us-en/ready-to-wear/suits/product.15milmil15-wool-prince-of-wales-suit.10280551.html
Although I consider it overpriced you could have done worse for that price. E. Zenga's quality is pretty good. Ex. Full Canvas, good fabrics, Made in Italy etc. It looks like a nice piece.

Just stay clear of Z. Zenga which is fused and made in ether Mexico or Eastern Europe.

Just curious did you get this on sale?

Last edited:

RJG

Reaction score
You want a suit- made from 100% wool but - the most important is a good fit. A $ 1000 Burberry suit- if it doesn't fit you - isn't worth that Macy's thing you don't like too much. Fit is KEY to damn near everything.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.