• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Burberry at Nordstrom's Rack

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
1,469
Reaction score
10
Our new and first Nordstrom's Rack opened last Thursday and it's a pretty nice place. Something like our Filene's Basement, but with quite a different array of designers, the Rack store actually has quite a bit of Burberry.
I was quite surprised, however, as to the "Compare at...." prices they gave for Burberry trenchcoats (balmacaans?), with removable lining. The "original" price on their tags was only in the $600s; I would have thought more. From what I recall, these beige coats with hidden main closure buttons, buttons to hold the collar up in inclement weather, and buttons on the sleeves are classic Burberry. I noticed the material was something like 96% cotton, and I don't recall what the remaining 4% was but assumably some synthetic. The main pockets were not "pass-through" as with my vintage Burberry raincoat but the non-removable lining directly inside the shell is the usuall Burberry house check.
I didn't see coats anything like these on Burberry's main website in this price range.
So are there similar Burberry men's coats with standard retail prices only in the "600s? Of coruse Nordstrom's Rack was selling them for far less - I believe in the $300s but I don't recall exactly.
 

hadamulletonce

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
590
Reaction score
1
Most of the Burberry Trench coats retail for more than $600.00 at Nordstrom. take a look at nordstrom.com and see if you can find th matching style.
 

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
1,469
Reaction score
10
Not "$600" but in the "$600s...." Thanks; the website shows a few Burberry men's coats - all more $. I don't see the exact style, which is hardly a surprise as I would expect the styles in the Rack stores not exactly the same as currently being shown in the regular Nordstrom's outlets (which in our case is almost across the street). But it does seem funny one could be at such a "low" (i.e. for Burberry!) price assuming the coats are unused and assumably at least from a recent year.
 

james_gsx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Nordstrom Rack carries plenty of Burberry, all made in the USA. I bought a suit for around $300, but the quality was poor IMO. For $300 it was decent (marked down from $800), but I have other $300 suits from high school that have lasted longer and gone through more abuse. Just my .02 cents, and that doesn't necessarily mean the trench coats will be of equal value.
 

jsherman02

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
999
Reaction score
1
I work out at a gym next to a new Rack. (In Lyndhurst) I walked into the store last Thursday and I could not have run fast enough out of there. The BEST shoes they had were K.Cole's.

I will not return for a while.
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Mind you I don't believe that everything they sell at the Rack is sold in Nordstroms main stores. For example, I've never seen Nord's selling Adidas and Nike running gear but my Rack is load with the stuff.

So what they say as "compare to" I'd guess might not be a true reference to retail Nord's.

Dunno.
 

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
303
Isn't the stuff nordstrom carries a diffusion line? i.e "Burberry" mainline v. "Burberry London"
 

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2002
Messages
7,078
Reaction score
1,174
Originally Posted by Lafont
Our new and first Nordstrom's Rack opened last Thursday and it's a pretty nice place. Something like our Filene's Basement, but with quite a different array of designers, the Rack store actually has quite a bit of Burberry.
I was quite surprised, however, as to the "Compare at...." prices they gave for Burberry trenchcoats (balmacaans?), with removable lining. The "original" price on their tags was only in the $600s; I would have thought more. From what I recall, these beige coats with hidden main closure buttons, buttons to hold the collar up in inclement weather, and buttons on the sleeves are classic Burberry. I noticed the material was something like 96% cotton, and I don't recall what the remaining 4% was but assumably some synthetic. The main pockets were not "pass-through" as with my vintage Burberry raincoat but the non-removable lining directly inside the shell is the usuall Burberry house check.
I didn't see coats anything like these on Burberry's main website in this price range.
So are there similar Burberry men's coats with standard retail prices only in the "600s? Of coruse Nordstrom's Rack was selling them for far less - I believe in the $300s but I don't recall exactly.


Ohio location?
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Mind you I don't believe that everything they sell at the Rack is sold in Nordstroms main stores. For example, I've never seen Nord's selling Adidas and Nike running gear but my Rack is load with the stuff.

So what they say as "compare to" I'd guess might not be a true reference to retail Nord's.

Dunno.


About 75% of all N-Rack stuff is special purchase. Simple way of doing things, if it doesn't have an original Nordstrom tag on it, it isn't full line merch.

But some Nordstrom DO carry Nike and Adidas athletic gear.
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Magician
Isn't the stuff nordstrom carries a diffusion line? i.e "Burberry" mainline v. "Burberry London"

My guess is that anything in the 600 ish range is diffusion line, which Nordstrom does sell. But plenty of Nordstrom well Burberry London and higher end stuff. I have a Burberry London, made in London trench from Nordstrom.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
^ I believe so, too. Saw some before and they were made in the United States.
 

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
1,469
Reaction score
10
Kindly decipher "MOA" and "AE." Thanks.
Guess I didn't go as far as to see where each coat was said to be made (or at least I don't recall the country). Actually made in the U.S?? That's pretty darned unusual today, let alone for a company like Burberry. Reminds me of the Borsaline hats that were made for a period in the U.S. And many said they were "inferior."
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,234
Messages
9,230,921
Members
193,766
Latest member
salvpi
Top