1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bumps on my face?!

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by rotk, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rotk

rotk Member

I have been on another forum for help but no one really responded so I'm going to ask the guys instead.

There are these little bumps on my face near my cheeks and I have no idea whether they're acne or not. I will say this, if I squeeze them, puss come outs so I'm guessing they are acne? I uploaded a pic to let you guys see. It's kind of embarrassing.

I want to ask help from the forums before I go see a derma.

Any advice on what to do? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alter

Alter Senior member

I have been on another forum for help but no one really responded so I'm going to ask the guys instead.

There are these little bumps on my face near my cheeks and I have no idea whether they're acne or not. I will say this, if I squeeze them, puss come outs so I'm guessing they are acne? I uploaded a pic to let you guys see. It's kind of embarrassing.

I want to ask help from the forums before I go see a derma.

Any advice on what to do? [​IMG]

Go see a dermatologist for any real advice. And don't panic...bumps happen.

3. rotk

rotk Member

Thanks I guess Derma really is the only option

4. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Or,...you could go to a third forum!

5. MrMonkey

MrMonkey Active Member

South Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom
    I would advise professional opinion. However I had similar thing. It turned out, they were ingrowing hairs! A good skin care routine seemed to help with it;
    Exfoliate, Wash with a good quality, unscented face wash, rinse well and pat dry. Then a decent moisturiser if your skin is dry. Occasionally, I use a face tonic (Elemis, natural products). However, a dermatologist is your best bet. They should also be able to advise on what to use.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

As for the embarrasment, don't worry about it. I just let my shining personality distract from my ingrowing hair problem. Chances are if you forget it, other people will too!

Best wishes

6. Ippo

Ippo Senior member

Looks like acne that is about to form. Try using some products containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide (at a low concentration at first, e.g. 2.5%) and see if it helps.

7. rotk

rotk Member

I would advise professional opinion. However I had similar thing. It turned out, they were ingrowing hairs! A good skin care routine seemed to help with it;
    Exfoliate, Wash with a good quality, unscented face wash, rinse well and pat dry. Then a decent moisturiser if your skin is dry. Occasionally, I use a face tonic (Elemis, natural products). However, a dermatologist is your best bet. They should also be able to advise on what to use.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

As for the embarrasment, don't worry about it. I just let my shining personality distract from my ingrowing hair problem. Chances are if you forget it, other people will too!

Best wishes

Wow. That could be it. Thank you.

I willl also go to a derma to confirm but thank you again.

8. Scooba

Scooba Senior member

Wash, then tone, then moisturize. Most people don't use toner. And, after you shave, don't splash cold water onto your face. The cold water makes the contract which traps stuff inside.

9. rotk

rotk Member

Thank you for the advice. Is exfoliating too much also a problem.

10. g4l87

g4l87 New Member

hi rotk haha i guess its time for me to help u with some advice now! u have seen my pics right? well almost a yr ago, u cant imagine how bad my skin was, full of acne cracks and what not.. i read a lot advices about using so and so gel but i didnt follow them instead once i made up my mind and went and met a dermatologist and he prescribed me with some oitments and showed me the way to use them and also wrote me some tablets and with proper use of those medications, my skin became good in 1 month! so quick! i could actually see the changes from the next day i started using the medications.. i thought my skin could never be fixed.. its better to consult a derma as he/she will check ur skin with a magnifying glass and stuff to know about it in detail.. good luck!

11. emeterioy

emeterioy Well-Known Member

I work with a dermatologist and we see those often, its vulgaris acne, put some benzoyl peroxide on it. What happens is that you acne never fully came out so it's underneath the skin.

I recommend the Clean and Clear brand, its called persa gel 10% BP. Wash your face with a gentle face wash then apply the BP and wait 20min then moisturize, and dont forget to use a sunscreen in the morning.

12. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

If they hurt then you know it is most likely acne in it's earlier stages. If you want a quick fix, go for a facial extraction where a professional pricks it with a needle and squeezes all of your zits out then cleanses your face. You'll be red for a few days after but you won't have too many problems with acne for at least a month.

13. erices621

erices621 Member

Looks like a cystic acne.

14. freeAgent

freeAgent Senior member

That's definitely acne. You're lucky that it has (so far) not gotten terribly red or inflamed. However, that is also the type that is hardest to get rid of. It's likely being caused by not exfoliating enough (though, having said that, do NOT overdo it either...that can be worse). I'd recommend you try something like the AcneFree step 1 stuff in the shower, or some other benzoyl peroxide-based facial cleanser. You can use a toner after that, and then try another BP face cream for the day (watch out, it bleaches fabrics...so unless your bedclothes are white, don't use it at night or before putting your shirt on). Be sure the wash your face in the evening as well. I personally use Cetaphil sensitive skin cleanser.

I recommend you stay away from salacylic acid-based products. I've seen a couple dermatologists in my day and they have recommended against it.

15. rotk

rotk Member

Yeah I realize my type of acne could be the hardest to get rid of and I'm hoping that's not the case.

I finally made an appointment with a derma at the end of this month. I hope it goes well.

Thanks for all the advice.

16. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Acne

1) see derm for proffessional help

2)if it gets serious and you are really emotionally troubled, a good derm will prescribe oral vitamin A derivative (brand name Accutane). This is the atom bomb for acne but may have some adverse effect on liver function long term. That said there are some new studies showing that potential liver damage is only transient and that in most cases results in no long term effect. Not sure which one to believe.

3)if not too serious then derm should prescribe topical vitamin A = tretinoin (Retin A, Tazorac). Tretinoin is so good for your skin that even if you don't have acne it will help remove signs of aging, sun damage and other imperfections. If derm does not want to prescribe then this stuff is available gray market. This stuff is design to speed up the shedding and regeneration cycle of your skin. faster sheeding = less chance of oil plugs forming and smoother skin

4) wash with a salicylic solution (2% or less). this will in the long run help the oil ducts to shed the oil instead of it forming a plug and allowing the bacteria to fester. This means it will reduce whitehead and blackhead formation

Benzoil P is primarily designed to reduce the bacteria that casues white heads/blackheads to become actual pimples (infected pores). In reality it is not even very effective at reducing anything but the faintest pimple outbreak and does absolutely nothing for whiteheads or blackheads. Quite simply I think BP is a joke. same thing for all the other stuff you will see in most print adds
    and all tv adds.

You will never see adds for accutane or tretinoin but you will likely need to use one or the other.

Lastly I have in my day consulted with some pretty useless derms so you really need to shop around for one that is up to date and commited to maling your skin look better

17. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Forgot to add that if the pimples go red (full blown acne) it would be standard procedure to also put you on acne antibiotics such as tetracycline, minocycline ect.

18. rotk

rotk Member

Thanks for the advice.

My derma believes my acne is whiteheads and has prescribed me differin and minocycline for two months. Hopefully this will work and also not leave scars [​IMG]

19. entrero

entrero Senior member

Thanks for the advice.

My derma believes my acne is whiteheads and has prescribed me differin and minocycline for two months. Hopefully this will work and also not leave scars [​IMG]

Oh man, I thought a degree meant something these days. a)Do you do any sports? or b)did you just reach puberty?

If you do any close contact sports please mention it to your derma. Could be just acne but can also be Staph.

20. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Thanks for the advice.

OK that's good. Differin contains a retinoid like substance so has the same (slightly milder) effect as a true retinoid (tretinoin). Don't worry if your skin gets temporarily red or worse as this is very common and just means it is working. TBH 2 months is not very long and full effect can take upto 6 months. The effect of minocyline will be faster though.

You should still wash your face at night with salicylic acid just before you apply the differin. Also wash again with salicylic in the morning as well.

Last thing: with differin or any similar substances your days in the sun are over! Complete sun avoidance is important: meaning you wear a good UVA/UVB suncreen all year round anytime outside (even when overcast). Not doing this could result in alot of skin photo aging.