• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bumble and Bumble VS. American Crew

tgod93

Reaction score
So I'm looking to try out bumble and bumble for the first time and was just wondering if there are any comparisons of the two brands.
I have medium length, strong, and hard to control asian hair.

So far I've tried:

American Crew Fiber- Makes my hair too dry and even harder to control.
American Crew Molding Clay- Decent hold and the medium shine helps control my hair better than fiber.
American Crew Forming Cream- not enough hold and smells horrible.

Also, I first use a light/medium layer of Gel, blowdry and then apply the a finishing paste.

I am currently trying to decide between

Sumowax
Sumotech

Which is better for my situation? I've read that sumotech does badly in hot weather and that sumowax might be very shiny.

All in all I'm looking for something that gives more hold than AC Molding Clay but gives my hair more UOOMPH without having that greasy, slicked back look.

Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious have you given Baxter of California any consideration? I personally would recommend them over Bumble & Bumble and American Crew.

tgod93

Reaction score
Just curious have you given Baxter of California any consideration? I personally would recommend them over Bumble & Bumble and American Crew.

i've heard of Baxter before but I don't know too much about them. is there a specific line/product of Baxters that you would suggest?

JJGooden

Reaction score
In full disclosure, (I say this as a humble shop owner who carries American Crew products), I think the only AC product that might potentially work for you is the Pomade. I have a few Asian friends that use it. I've also heard good things from these guys about Kiehl's Malleable Molding Paste, which we don't carry.

Baxter and Knoll might be better than both of these, if you're willing to pay a little more.

tgod93

Reaction score
In full disclosure, (I say this as a humble shop owner who carries American Crew products), I think the only AC product that might potentially work for you is the Pomade. I have a few Asian friends that use it. I've also heard good things from these guys about Kiehl's Malleable Molding Paste, which we don't carry.
Baxter and Knoll might be better than both of these, if you're willing to pay a little more.

thank you for the information. however, i doubt pomade would work seeing as its high shine low hold. forming cream is medium hold/shine and it is not even close to enough hold for my hair.

i ordered a jar of bumble and bumble sumowax earlier this week. when it gets here ill be sure to test it out and drop a detailed review here.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've used fiber, sumotech and sumowax in the past. currently use aveda grooming clay.

sumowax was too...waxy

sumotech was good

fiber and aveda are on par, with fiber having a bit of a stronger hold.

tgod93

Reaction score
i think the reason that molding clay works better than fiber for me is because of that medium shine in molding clay. it seems to soften up my hair to make it more pliable. Where as fiber is hard to distribute through hair and makes my hair even harder to control than it already is.

so now the question is...

which is better for medium lengthy thick/heavy/strong asian hair? Sumotech or sumowax....my sumowax should get here tomorrow

tgod93

Reaction score
Alright so here is my review of bumble and bumble sumowax.

WOWWWWWWWWWW. It is ******* good stuff. I wasn't expecting it to have so much hold but it REALLY holds my hair in place. It doesn't weigh my hair down like some other products, instead if actually gives my hair OOUMPH!

FYI i have heavy/strong/medium length asian hair. So for me to say that this wax works, it REALLY WORKS!

Just melt the wax a bit with your blow dryer until it is liquidy and apply. It works very very well. It also lasts for a long time. Where as AC fiber/molding clay get destroyed in the sun, Sumowax holds up quite nicely.

Ive only used it once but i can only expect it to get better and better.

CHEERS

limbo

Reaction score
I've used Aveda grooming clay before.

Now using Baxter's clay pomade. On my second jar, have a third just in case.

Highly recommended.

andyl

Reaction score
I'm going to buy sumowax and give it a try too.

I've been using Fiber and I'm not really a fan on how it holds, plus it doesn't hold up throughout the day...

StylinGuy

Reaction score
i have that uncontrollable asian hair as well, and i use "aveda molding clay'. never tried another product since ive been introduced to this one...

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Baxter Hard Water Pomade. It works the best, I've tried all the baxter hair products. all are good but depends on your hair and what you want to do with it. The clay will be drying out your hair.

I also use SumoTech, which is very good.

I'm just a fan of the hard water pomade since it gives a relative all day wet look. not super shiny but I like it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics