• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Built in bookshelves?

horton

Reaction score
If you have a clear idea of what you want I can't imagine why you would need an architect or a contractor.

I'd recommend an interior designer. At least in my experience they add a lot of value. For example, they'll help you decide whether a full wall really makes sense for your space (your room will feel like a library afterwards) or whether half walls and other nooks and crannies might be a better fit.

There are various finish carpenters who usually aren't tough to find who should be all that's needed for the job (some specialize in built ins who would be even better). I wouldn't rely on these guys though for creative vision

Your price range seems more than adequate at least for up here; no clue on NYC

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We installed these quite recently and like Matt, had an architect and carpenter collaborate on the design and installation.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
We installed these quite recently and like Matt, had an architect and carpenter collaborate on the design and installation.

Those look nice. I think that what you get from having an architect (or interior desecrator) is somebody who is used to dealing with scale and can see what something is going to look like before it is actually made.

While I would certainly opt for something less traditional, the scale and detailing on that work is very well done.

Financier

Reaction score
Manton, your pictures are just incredible. I've saved a couple for future reference for our next home! That is what I want my den to look like.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I can't remember what I paid for the first job, above (in late 2001). But the second was done in 2005. Both were built on site, with his equipment in the (empty) room. I paid $2,500 for the second job, which included new crown molding for the entire room and the paint job.

That seems about right. I know a number of folks in DC who have had work like this done by carpenters quite satisfactorily. For longer spans and more unconventional mounting (like Matt's), you'd need someone particularly skilled, or an architect.

Fabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

This is really nice. I like the Fang-Hu bronze on the upper right shelf too.

I have a friend who is a cabinet maker who did some built in bookshelves for me. I'll try and get around to taking a picture of them. She works in a large wood shop that does a lot of installations of built in furniture in retail, resturants, etc so it was right up here alley. It was still a lot of work though. She built them up in her shop, stained them there, and she and I did the install. It's in an old 1912 house, and they went into a corner, so there was a lot of shims and special cuts we needed to do on molding to get it clean. It's one of those projects that still needs some finishing. They are mahogany-faced MDF.

Generally I think that a good finishing carpenter can do this on their own. The trick is to find one who has a good eye.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice. So in the end, who did you use, etc?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice, congrats. So did you end up using architect/contractor + contractor etc?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had a construction project get done so fast. Must really be a housing recession.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice, looks great, it blends very well with the room. The center large shelving space seems to be begging for a flat panel display. You need to hide that bulky conspicuous CRT. Do you mind if I ask the cost? What kind of wood?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads