• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Built an exotic hardwood nightstand

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is my first real 'woodworking' project, i had some exotic hardwoods laying around from my days of building knives as a hobby. Built from Macassar and Gaboon ebony, Honduras Rosewood, Brazilian Kingwood and Cherry (just the dowels). All solid hardwood, everything is 3/4, 4/4 or 8/4 sawn. All of the joints are sliding dovetails.
PICT0258.jpg
PICT0260.jpg
PICT0261.jpg
PICT0263.jpg
The finish is Linseed oil and Paste wax, and part of my idea was to build the entire thing out of natural materials, only thing man made is the glue used on the joints and dowels.
PICT0188.jpg
Pic of the drawer right before it was finished. Only thing left to do is add some sort of knob on the drawer.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
looks damn nice, I love the legs on that thing. Beautiful wood. How is the Honduras Rosewood? I'm only familiar with the magnificent Brazilian and the much more common Indian Rosewood.

also, where did you land the ebony? I'm looking for a big piece to make a coffee table.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Willard Bros in Trenton NJ has them, that being said recent prices on Gaboon and Macassar are pretty expensive ($100 bd/ft in 8/4) They usually have the gaboon and macassar cut down to about 2 or 3 ft lengths, since from what i understand the harvesters backpack this stuff to the wood mills in africa. The Hondo is great, its hell to cut and when planing take very small cuts, but it comes out nice when finishing. I finish everything by hand, with nothing more then a block and sandpaper, i take it down to 1000 grt, then finish with 0000 steel wool, wipe it down then linseed. Nice tight grain, and really comes out smooth, less expensive then Brazilian Rosewood. If you get a chance to check out the showroom over there, i think you'll be pretty impressed, I'm sure they have Padauk slabs (might want to call ahead on that one) and I've seen a bunch of Walnut slabs. I think for the next project i'm going to switch to Tung oil, as my guy at Willard Bros warned me that the linseed oil is dangerous. Thanks for the compliments. http://www.willardbrothers.net/

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm impressed that you are able to make things like this. Obviously, the style is not to my taste, but I'm curious: what was the reasoning behind making it so thick and heavy looking? Did you do it for durability's sake or to get a certain look? Is it easier or harder to make something more streamlined and low-profile?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Is it easier or harder to make something more streamlined and low-profile?

Both, really. Beginning woodworkers typically start with blocky, simple shapes, usually in fairly thick wood. But it gets more complicated as you go from there, whether you go for thick and heavy or for sleek and minimalist.

Nice work, Skinny. Looks like you did a great job on the finishing.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good craftmanship, and the texture on some of the woods is quite attractive. The overall result is not to my taste, but why should you care. It's certainly quite a unique piece.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm impressed that you are able to make things like this. Obviously, the style is not to my taste, but I'm curious: what was the reasoning behind making it so thick and heavy looking? Did you do it for durability's sake or to get a certain look? Is it easier or harder to make something more streamlined and low-profile?
Thanks foof, Obviously I designed it for myself, working around what I had on hand, so the design takes that into consideration. The heft of it, for a few reasons: I like heavier furniture primarily, for functionality and durability reasons i like heftier pieces. One of my goals was to have a drawer that slides in/out nicely without much side to side movement, i accomplished that. The legs, skirts, and Top were sized according to what i felt was appropriate. I had originally planned to use a thinner skirt, but in the end it would up being a bit too light/small looking.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rather like the style, looks mid-century to me. I think it would function better as a couch end table than a night stand.

Since renovating my house I've started buying contractor grade equipment and I'd like to see your shop.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll take a shot of the shop tomorrow, and post it up. I grew up metalworking, so i have a metal working shop primarily with a few woodworking tools.

I did the Sliding doves, dowels and M&T's in a Bridgeport Milling machine w/ DRO that I've adapted for woodworking.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The execution looks pretty good but the design and material choice is random. The piece is to clunky and there is to much going on. You could probably remake the piece with the same stock and slim the proportions down a bit. I would have also waited on using such expensive materials. Perhaps until your second piece?

I rarely use macassar stock. If i'm not making draw pulls or small details I resaw it for veneer. That leg stock would have made some nice panels as well. what made you mill it down for legs?

dl

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Veneer.....No thanks.

Other than that, sure I'll work on the design aspects of the next project, but this is done/finished and left for nothing more then opinions and use.

Next project, Black Walnut bed, which this will find a nice home next to.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Looks like great craftsmanship. Congrats!

My brother just built a fabulous wine cellar and used coca bola wood for the table/shelf. Looks superb.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks AF,

Cocobolo is an awesome wood, i love the stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads