• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building the Shoe Collection...which should be next?

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
So, I am slowly picking up my shoe game and I purchased a few months back two pairs of AEs: Park Avenue in Black and Fifth Avenue in Burnished Calf.

I'm looking to add to the collection. First and foremost I want a lighter brown and I was thinking of maybe the AE Strand in Walnut? I also really like the new AE New Orleans.

I'm unsure if I should invest in another black pair now also? And, if so, what kind of black? Or... should I go with a staple lighter brown (so that I have the main three essentials) and then get maybe a "more fun" shoe, like the New Orleans or maybe even a suede shoe for the warmer months?

That said, if you had ONLY the two I mentioned above, what would your next two purchases be? (Does not have to only be AE, but I do need to keep the price in that range).

Thanks!

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Strand in Walnut would be good. Clifton is another choice if you'd rather have a blucher.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AE Strands are beautiful shoes. If you can't decide between brown or black, buy one of each if you can. Both finishes will serve you very well.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I'm definitely loving the Strands, and I am definitely contemplating having another Black shoe in the rotation.

I guess where my current debate is: with summer around the corner should I invest now in a summer-style (suede maybe?) or maybe even get a slip-on in addition to a Strand in Walnut.

The Strand in Walnut is seemingly a 100% purchase for me. I was thinking maybe the new Carlsbad slip-on as a more casual and summer friendly shoe. Thoughts?

Also, a bit off topic, but - any NY Members been to Stapleton Shoe Factory Outlet down near Wall Street? I work nearby and was wondering if it is worth the time to visit.

Thanks!

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
The AE Strands are beautiful shoes. If you can't decide between brown or black, buy one of each. In addition, you should have a pair of suede wing tips in your collection. They are so classy in all seasons.

Best regards,

LanceW

Reaction score
E Strand is exactly what I would purchase next. Then I would go try on a pair of Alden for Brooks Brothers Leisure Hand Sewn Penny Loafer. They will go on sale between 8 and noon on December 26th. Save another 20% by purchasing Brooks Brothers gift cards.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. I think the Strands in Walnut are definite (maybe even get them tomorrow!). The place i noted above does a buy one get one half off deal -- and has many different brands: AE, Alden, Florsheim, etc. I'm not sure how the deal works, I'm sure its buy one get one similarly priced half off, but I might stop in and see if they carry the Strands in my size and go from there.

I passed by and saw Park Ave and Fifth Ave in the window, so maybe they will have the Strand as well. I'll be sure to let you know how I make out!

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Also -- I meant to ask, can the Strand be worn with a suit? I've been getting confused on the forums lately reading that shoes with too much of a brogue should not be worn with suits. The Strands are semi-brogue (correct?), so how does that work with a suit. I notice guys wearing full-brogue with suits all the time, but I know that doesnt necessarily make it "right"

Thanks!

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
As I came to understand it, the Strand is suitable for suits as well as more casual wear, including jeans. Yes, they are semi brogued, so their formality is toned down a bit.

LanceW

Reaction score
The Strand is a walnut half-brogue oxford. Walnut is casual, half-brogue is casual, oxford is formal. I put that in the bottom 1/3 of suit formality and would wear it with casual suits no problem
laugh.gif

gsgleason

Reaction score
I too wanted a walnut AE and was deciding between the Strand and McAllister. I went with the latter as I already have several cap toes.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
The Strand is a walnut half-brogue oxford. Walnut is casual, half-brogue is casual, oxford is formal. I put that in the bottom 1/3 of suit formality and would wear it with casual suits no problem
laugh.gif

Ha! Thats exactly what I was thinking. I was a bit confused with them being Oxfords and being half-brogue. I agree though, being Walnut alone would make me wear them much more casually even with a suit.

Thanks so much!!

I know the SFers are a bit against black shoes, but I'm thinking I probably could use two pairs in rotation. That would give me Park Aves in Black, Fifth Ave in Brown Burnished, the Strand in Walnut, and I'm thinking maybe a McCallister in Black?

But, budget wise I think I might go with the Strand in Walnut and then invest in a loafer or something I can wear in the summer months.

Decisions, decisions.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Samovar McGee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CJG_NYC
Ha! Thats exactly what I was thinking. I was a bit confused with them being Oxfords and being half-brogue. I agree though, being Walnut alone would make me wear them much more casually even with a suit.

Thanks so much!!

I know the SFers are a bit against black shoes, but I'm thinking I probably could use two pairs in rotation. That would give me Park Aves in Black, Fifth Ave in Brown Burnished, the Strand in Walnut, and I'm thinking maybe a McCallister in Black?

But, budget wise I think I might go with the Strand in Walnut and then invest in a loafer or something I can wear in the summer months.

Decisions, decisions.
musicboohoo[1].gif

What about a McAllister in merlot?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
why are you limiting yourself to AE? Why not try a different maker?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads